Cook Rice Perfect, Every Time.

Cook Rice Perfect, Every Time.

Postby Uncle Boom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:09 pm

A quick post in case anyone bought the idea that "Rice is hard to cook right."
When the topic of my dinner comes up, I hear a lot of people say "I like rice... I like the rice you get at Chinese restaurants!"
Its easy.
Start with a 2/1 Water to Rice ratio (I don't measure the water, but I'm comfortable with eye measurements)
(The rice will end up being a little more than the volume of water when it is done)

Bring to a rolling boil, turn it down to a proper "simmering" temperature, and add the rice (stir or no stir? seems to make no difference).
Set the lid slightly off to the side of the pot as to allow the steam to escape so it doesn't boil over
Check it in about 15 minutes, the kitchen will smell like rice.
(If you over cook it and the rice is sticking all to the inside of the pot, just soak it in warm water for an hour or so, it washes right off without ruining your sponges)

Each time just note the specifics of your set up, where to set your dials, cook times, less water for stickier rice, more water for well-cooked rice... Small things too like taking the pot off of the heat and closing the lid - letting it sit for the last 3-5m of cooking, adding other grains or beans, exchanging water for broth, using bullion in the water, salt and peppering the water... many things can help change the flavor. Pay attention to the small things, and soon you will be able to whip up tasty rice with predictable texture in copious amounts!

Anyway, many of yall probably use rice cookers or even have your own ways to do it, but in the interest of those who don't and who may want a dish that is low in oily fats and sodium to compliment their meals - this one is for you!
Peace Yall!
I can't log in anymore (?) ...But this is my TA/XBL Account from years ago!
http://www.trueachievements.com/CaptainOvaltine.htm
Image GoW2 Lvl 100 Image GoW2 Serious2.0 / All Achievements!
Uncle Boom

Re: Cook Rice Perfect, Every Time.

Postby Kazriko » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Uncle Boom wrote:Anyway, many of yall probably use rice cookers or even have your own ways to do it, but in the interest of those who don't and who may want a dish that is low in oily fats and sodium to compliment their meals - this one is for you!
Peace Yall!

Thanks for the tips! I do actually use a rice cooker, a really nice Panasonic one. I've found that both the settings and kind of rice are important. If I want rice like at the restaurant, I use the short grain rice and put it on sticky rice settings. Normally, I just use the Parbroiled rice on the normal settings though, it's not like the restaurant at all, but its nice and chewy. I normally cook frozen meatballs with the rice, and throw soy sauce and some sort of vegetable on top once its done.

My favorite rice though was back when I had a pressure cooker to prepare the rice in. Those things can push flavor right into the rice grains. I should buy another one of those.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:49 pm

I use a rice cooker, but like Kaz said, buying the right rice is clutch. We go to the Asian Market in order to get nice sushi rice to make.
nate

Postby TSL » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Amen! I need to talk the wife into a Rice Cooker! So key!
TSL

Postby Uncle Boom » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah Word, yall on that rice cooker train, ok - i can dig it. I like Jasmine rice myself, silver pearl rice is good too, but usually I just rock brown rice. I haven't noticed too much of a difference - but thats just me. Stay Full Yall!
I can't log in anymore (?) ...But this is my TA/XBL Account from years ago!
http://www.trueachievements.com/CaptainOvaltine.htm
Image GoW2 Lvl 100 Image GoW2 Serious2.0 / All Achievements!
Uncle Boom

Postby Kazriko » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:16 am

Uncle Boom wrote:Yeah Word, yall on that rice cooker train, ok - i can dig it. I like Jasmine rice myself, silver pearl rice is good too, but usually I just rock brown rice. I haven't noticed too much of a difference - but thats just me. Stay Full Yall!

Do you soak the brown rice for a bit first? I know that this helps bring out more nutrients. This is what the high end rice cookers do when you put it on brown rice mode. If you look on the Zojirushi faq, they talk about GABA mode for brown rice that soaks it at 104f for 2 hours.

Jasmine rice is good, though it's not my preferred daily rice. It's a long grain, fragrant Indian style rice rather than Japanese style (short grain sushi rice.) I sometimes use the Basmati and Jasmine rice for special meals. I do usually get the brown basmati or jasmine rice though when I eat it. I probably eat rice 5-6 times a week though, when I'm in that mood.

Every once in awhile, I'll mix in rice-a-roni wild grain rice into my other rice.

(Though, most Indian food tastes like Pouporri smells.)

BTW, This is the rice cooker I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6896200396

It works pretty well. It's a decidedly mid-range one, but at least it's a fuzzy logic model.

If I had as much money as I wanted to spend on one though, I'd buy this model here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QY ... PDKIKX0DER << The 1.0 liter one, in particular. I have the 10 cup 1.8l of the panasonic, but I never use more than 3 cups in it with a family of 3, and only 2 of us rice-eaters. A 5.5 would be much closer to my needs, and this one is the top of the line and has the pressure cooker features so the rice would be even better.
Kazriko

Return to Eating Right