A baby. I'm going to have one.

Moderator: nate

A baby. I'm going to have one.

Postby nate » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Coming July 31, 2015 to select cities. 8-)
nate

Re: A baby. I'm going to have one.

Postby goodlucksaturday » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Congrats! I can't think of anything witty to add to that.
goodlucksaturday

Postby Kazriko » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:09 pm

I have one of those. They take a lot of time.
Kazriko

Postby TSL » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Nicely done, brother!! Congrats and welcome to the fraternity!!!!! :D :D :D
TSL

Postby nate » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Kazriko wrote:I have one of those. They take a lot of time.

I get upset with myself for waking up early. "Appreciate sleep more, body!!" :D

bchambers wrote:Nicely done, brother!! Congrats and welcome to the fraternity!!!!! :D :D :D

Sarah and I were up in the Babies R Us today registering and I couldn't figure out what half that nonsense was. Do we need this? That? Who freaking knows! We need to hire you and Myko on consult since y'all probably have this down to a science at this point. :lol:
nate

Postby TSL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:14 am

nate wrote:
Kazriko wrote:I have one of those. They take a lot of time.

I get upset with myself for waking up early. "Appreciate sleep more, body!!" :D

bchambers wrote:Nicely done, brother!! Congrats and welcome to the fraternity!!!!! :D :D :D

Sarah and I were up in the Babies R Us today registering and I couldn't figure out what half that nonsense was. Do we need this? That? Who freaking knows! We need to hire you and Myko on consult since y'all probably have this down to a science at this point. :lol:

Do we ever. :lol:
TSL

Postby nate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 am

Question time!

1. What do babies wear? Onesies, right? What the hell is swaddling? Sleep sacks are a thing because apparently blankets are sneaky assassin sonsabitches?
2. Changing tables-- worth it? What's wrong with a blanket on the ground?
3. Is a convertible car seat worth it or should we be getting some sort of car seat to stroller dealie?
4. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TYPES OF STROLLERS?! What type am I supposed to get?!
5. Bottle brands. I'm led to believe you pick a brand and straight console fanboy ride it til the wheels fall off. What brand, though?
6. Why are there so many baby storage options?! What the hell is the difference between a bassinet, play pen, crib, jumperoo, etc? Which of these do I actually need?
7. Child proofing. Cabinet doors, yes? Also electric sockets? Do I really need to latch the freaking oven? How is baby going to turn that on and then climb in and close the door behind itself?
8. I feel like the baby stuff industry is laughing its way to the bank because there's so much and I have no idea what of this is actually needed and what's a waste of money.
9. How many sheets, outfits, bibs, bottles, etc should I be buying?
10. Should I be asking Myko this instead? :lol:
11. Carrying baby: I have a friend that swears by Moby. I want to have as little sweaty stomach as possible. Thoughts?
12. I'm sure there are things where you want to pay the extra for quality and there's other stuff where it doesn't freaking matter one bit. How do I tell what is what?
13. I feel like if I can just keep the thing alive and mostly intact until it's 2, I'm home free. I don't know jack about babies, though...
nate

Postby Kazriko » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm

nate wrote:Question time!

1. What do babies wear? Onesies, right? What the hell is swaddling? Sleep sacks are a thing because apparently blankets are sneaky assassin sonsabitches?

I suppose when they're fairly small onesies work. Swaddling is where you wrap their arms and legs up so they can't move.

nate wrote:2. Changing tables-- worth it? What's wrong with a blanket on the ground?\

Nothing. But my wife still won't let me hear the end of it that I didn't get her a changing table (even after 6 years,) so that's a matter of if your wife wants one or not.

nate wrote:3. Is a convertible car seat worth it or should we be getting some sort of car seat to stroller dealie?

Convertible car seat as in you can detach it from the car and put it in the stroller? We had one, it's pretty convenient not having to wake the kid up to take him into a store.

nate wrote:4. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TYPES OF STROLLERS?! What type am I supposed to get?!

Whatever one some relative buys you (in my case.) ;) I don't have much preference. Well, that's not entirely true. I do like the aforementioned ones where the baby car seat pops straight out of the car and drops into the fold-up stroller. That was really convenient. I think it was a Graco brand, and came as the entire kit in one box, stroller and carseat.

nate wrote:5. Bottle brands. I'm led to believe you pick a brand and straight console fanboy ride it til the wheels fall off. What brand, though?

We tried tons of different bottles, the only ones that really worked were the Dr. Brown ones. My son had stomach problems though. http://www.drbrownsbaby.com/ << Definitely the best ones we tried. I actually preferred the BPA ones you could get 6 years ago, but all they sell now is the BPA free ones.

nate wrote:6. Why are there so many baby storage options?! What the hell is the difference between a bassinet, play pen, crib, jumperoo, etc? Which of these do I actually need?

Bassinet is only for when the kids are really young. They're convenient for the first few months because they're small and you can put them in your bedroom and get at them quickly when they cry at night. Crib is the likely standard one that you'd use most of the time. Play pens are useful for trips, but aren't good for every-day use.

nate wrote:7. Child proofing. Cabinet doors, yes? Also electric sockets? Do I really need to latch the freaking oven? How is baby going to turn that on and then climb in and close the door behind itself?

Depends on the kid, really. The oven can probably wait until they're walking. My son never much messed with the electrical outlets until he was old enough to figure out how to plug things in. Cabinets, mostly you want to lock anything that has dangerous items in it. cleaning supplies, batteries, etc.

nate wrote:8. I feel like the baby stuff industry is laughing its way to the bank because there's so much and I have no idea what of this is actually needed and what's a waste of money.

Haha. Yeah. Lots of the stuff is optional, and only if you find it makes things more convenient.

nate wrote:9. How many sheets, outfits, bibs, bottles, etc should I be buying?

As many as you need for rotation. It depends on how much you'll be doing laundry.

And, probably. ;)

nate wrote:11. Carrying baby: I have a friend that swears by Moby. I want to have as little sweaty stomach as possible. Thoughts?

At first, we just had him in the carseat most of the time. Eventually, I got something that I could wear him with just so that I could feed him while playing video games. >:)

nate wrote:12. I'm sure there are things where you want to pay the extra for quality and there's other stuff where it doesn't freaking matter one bit. How do I tell what is what?
13. I feel like if I can just keep the thing alive and mostly intact until it's 2, I'm home free. I don't know jack about babies, though...

Eh, from about 3 months until about 2, it was pretty easy. After 2 it got harder. Now that he's 6, he's pretty smart and can get into trouble much quicker.

Also, maybe this will help: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b5e5/
Last edited by Kazriko on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks!

I teach elementary school, so I'm cool with little ones. I know how they work. It's when they're still super small and breakable that I'm not sure what to do with them. :lol:
nate

Postby TSL » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm

nate wrote:Question time!

2. Changing tables-- worth it? What's wrong with a blanket on the ground?
3. Is a convertible car seat worth it or should we be getting some sort of car seat to stroller dealie?
4. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TYPES OF STROLLERS?! What type am I supposed to get?!
5. Bottle brands. I'm led to believe you pick a brand and straight console fanboy ride it til the wheels fall off. What brand, though?
6. Why are there so many baby storage options?! What the hell is the difference between a bassinet, play pen, crib, jumperoo, etc? Which of these do I actually need?
7. Child proofing. Cabinet doors, yes? Also electric sockets? Do I really need to latch the freaking oven? How is baby going to turn that on and then climb in and close the door behind itself?
8. I feel like the baby stuff industry is laughing its way to the bank because there's so much and I have no idea what of this is actually needed and what's a waste of money.
9. How many sheets, outfits, bibs, bottles, etc should I be buying?
11. Carrying baby: I have a friend that swears by Moby. I want to have as little sweaty stomach as possible. Thoughts?
12. I'm sure there are things where you want to pay the extra for quality and there's other stuff where it doesn't freaking matter one bit. How do I tell what is what?

Gotcha. I just told Mykachu about the baby and she said congrats. She's also gonna review this post to make sure everything I'm telling you is not crazy.

1. Mostly onesies. Swaddling is only necessary during newborn phase. It's less about blanket danger and more about helping the baby use her body heat to keep herself warm. It also simulates the womb for a baby fresh outta mommy, so Swaddling is a must in the first few weeks. Arms out of the blanket is okay.

2. Leverage. Changing a baby on the floor sucks for your back. Changing table is a must for the mommy because she'll be healing from giving birth. Also, they have good ones that can double as a dresser for clothes and storage for diapers, wipes, etc.

3. Buy the Chico Keyfit 30 Travel System - Get the snap-n-go keyfit caddy to go with it. [Myko did a ton of research on this and we used this on all our babies]

4. See #3. There are so many strollers because of hipsters. Once the baby outgrows KeyFit, then you can look into CityMini and PegPergo. That's what we use. From the man's perspective, get one that is EASY to erect and fold. There are a ton that are a pain in the arse.

5. Lansinoh or Playtex Nurser or Dr. Browns. Different babies like different nipple types, experiment to find what works best for yours.

6. Bassinet for newborn to keep close to your bed; playpen and jumparoo for the times you will need a break from the baby... You can actually just get what's called a "playard." It folds and erects very easily and is a lifesaver for the times the baby is awake and you don't want to hold them; Crib, where a bigger baby sleeps once the bassinet gets too small. If you have to ditch one, ditch the bassinet. Our babies slept with us until they could sleep in a crib.

7. Electrical sockets for sure. Cabinets, only the ones with dangerous materials that are at the baby's height once she starts crawling. Oven locks potentially for when baby starts walking. Just gauge it on her behavior.

8. They are... Find people to give you hand-me-downs in EVERY situation. Craigslist and Freecycle FTW.

9. None. Your mothers, sisters, friends, etc will buy you a million of these things when you have a baby shower. if they don't, get 3 sets of sheets and 7 outfits for every occasion (7 long-sleeved onesies, 7 short sleeved onesies, 7 sets of PJs, 7 sets of socks, 7 baby skullies). You get 7 so you theoretically have one for every day of the week and don't have to do a million loads of laundry. I wouldn't get more than that because the baby is going to grow exponentially in the first year. (plus, like I said, people will be giving you hand-me-downs. What you buy should just be backup).

10. Don't worry, she's reading over my shoulder and making sure I don't say anything stupid. :lol:

11. Myko says, "Moby is awesome because it keeps shoulders and back from hurting, but it's cumbersome and somewhat tedious to set up. Ergo is best for in-and-out, everyday use and is also awesome."

12. Save on clothes. Do not save on bottles, cribs or car seats. Use organic formula if the baby doesn't nurse. And make your own food once the baby starts eating--very easy to do.

13. We've had a gang of babies and still don't know jack. Welcome to the fraternity. :lol:
TSL

Next

Return to General Discussions