Checking In: What's Going On With Y'all?

Moderator: nate

Checking In: What's Going On With Y'all?

Postby nate » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm

I was thinking about this the other day when B and I were talking. I'm pretty out of touch with a lot of y'all's personal lives. I know a decent bit about TFM from Facebook and that B's on a quest to have more children than we have active posters, but some of y'all I don't know jack about. Like B was saying you're back in Texas, fs? Is GLS still working in shipping (wasn't it?)? Did Weidle ever find true love?

So! Update us with what's going on in y'all's lives!
nate

Re: Checking In: What's Going On With Y'all?

Postby Weidleface » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Not sure where the true love thing came from, but whatever. :lol:

I'm still going strong with the same company I've been with for the past 2.5 years or so. I'm still not convinced it's where I want to be for the long haul because there's little room for upward mobility and it's a nonprofit so the money isn't that great anyway. I'm getting some pretty valuable experience, but it's also wearing thin on me. There are times where I really wish I had a job with regular hours so I could spend more time with friends and family, but I've done the 9-5 office gig before and it killed me(which, to be fair, was more the job itself than the environment). It just sucks never being able to get away because we always have some big event planned and the bosses are too cheap to hire another site manager.

But enough about that. Some of you may have seen my thread in the gaming boards, but I'm looking to get into streaming on twitch/youtube. This is something my buddy and I have kicked down the road for a while now and we basically just decided to jump in feet first and see what happens. We've been getting all our ducks in a row equipment-wise and we're hoping to actually go online sometime soon. Our "official" launch will likely be a 24 hour Extra Life stream, but the logistics on that are still up in the air. We have to actually get ourselves set up first. It'll be an interesting ride, and I'll be sure to let y'all know when we're officially set up.
Weidleface

Postby nate » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Still with the same company? Dude, last time I heard from you, I'm fairly certain you were a lifeguard at a water park! We are REALLY out of touch. :lol:
nate

Postby Weidleface » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:08 pm

nate wrote:Still with the same company? Dude, last time I heard from you, I'm fairly certain you were a lifeguard at a water park! We are REALLY out of touch. :lol:

I may have mentioned it in the past, though now I'm not really sure. :lol:

I manage a civic space in the middle of downtown Cincinnati for a local development company that's been doing some phenomenal work over the past 5 years or so when it comes to rehabilitating and breathing new life into some more rundown areas of the city. It's great because a decent portion of my job hinges around event management, which is what I kinda want to make a career out of. However, doing that on a constant basis from May-October is pretty draining. There's also the fact that I was moved from one site that I had pretty much established myself at over about a year or so to where I currently am after a coworker quit in April. When you're dealing with contractors, city employees, etc. that can be a rough transition to make, especially right as you're getting into the busy season. So the work that 3 people used to do is now split between 2 of us and I can really see it taking a toll on the other guy as well.

But the highlights are what keeps me here. Hell, we're a main venue for a city-wide music festival next month that's bringing Iron and Wine, Purity Ring, and Ride to my workplace. I'll be busting my balls all weekend, but finishing up a big event like that is one of the most rewarding things every time I finish.
Weidleface

Postby nate » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:38 am

B's kid had a birthday the other day with pics posted to Facebook and it blew my mind because it was just yesterday that dude was still a baby I swear. But then I realized how long this site has been going.

Well... not THIS site. More like, this community. Because someone is addicted to switching sites. :lol:

Since I joined back at the old TMP, I've graduated college, gotten married, worked a string of crap jobs, got a master's degree, moved across the state, became a teacher, bought a house, had a baby, became a writer. I was a FRESHMAN in college when I first joined. Belf was like a 9 year old moderator who had everyone convinced he was 30. B still thought I was a black dude. We had guys like thebaldduelist, ragnarok, darkcloudlives, blitzace hanging around. It's been 10 years. 10 years! That's crazy, right?
nate

Postby Weidleface » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 pm

It's still really weird to think that this has been going for 10 years. I'm sorry y'all had to deal with my cringey 16 year old self. :lol:

I haven't gone through as many life-changing events as Nate, B, etc. over the years, but it has definitely been cool to see everyone grow up (even though most of y'all are older than me) right before my eyes. In a weird way, I've felt more connected to the things that have happened to people here than I have to some friends and even family over the years. It kinda sucks that everything has slowed down over the years, but I'm still happy to be around and keep the community going.
Weidleface

Return to General Discussions