Current Playlist

Moderator: nate

Current Playlist

Postby TSL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

I'm currently playing Borderlands 2 trying to finish it up so that I can complete my video review for it. It's been a lot of fun to play and is probably going to be my 2012 AAA title of the year.

Once I finish Borderlands 2, I'll be moving on to Solar 2, an XBLIG title that had an amazing demo. That will be the next video review in the hopper followed by a retro-review for Alundra which i'll be firing up the PS2 to play.
TSL

Re: Current Playlist

Postby nate » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm not sure what to do about the new Paper Mario game. I bought the 3DS for it and it's paid off from trade ins long since gone, but the things I've heard have me VERY worried. No experience? Very specific environmental puzzles requiring hidden stickers? Boss battles that require a trick to be able to even fight properly? Most any other series would become an automatic pass for that, but those graphics make me want it so much. :(

Edit: Just making sure the edit feature works.
nate

Postby nate » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 pm

From EGM's Paper Mario review:

There are some flaws with Paper Mario: Sticker Star, though, and the most glaring resides with the new combat system. Scrapping a more traditional, XP-driven system, Sticker Star relies on the item the game is named after: stickers. You must go around the world and collect as many stickers as possible in order to fill up your sticker book. Then when you enter combat, you must spend these stickers, which only have one use each, to perform vintage Mario maneuvers like jumping and swinging a hammer.

Instead of feeling innovative or entertaining, this mechanic instead made me feel like I was in my very own episode of A&E’s Hoarders, as I’d fill my sticker book to the brim and then refuse to ever use them. In fact, since there are no rewards for defeating enemies, I actually started to avoid combat altogether for fear of running out of stickers once the really difficult, scripted battles rolled around. Even the extremely powerful real-world sticker items made me fear combat, as they also took up more space in my sticker book. I ended up becoming so obsessed with organizing and maintaining my inventory of stickers that by the time I reached the first major boss, I had stopped having fun with Sticker Star.

Another irritating aspect of Sticker Star is the constant need to backtrack. Now, I understand this is a common mechanic in many RPGs, but I don’t understand how designers would think having to retreat to your central base (in this case a small town in the Mushroom Kingdom called Decalsburg) all the time or having to re-visit stages you’ve beaten several times over is fun. And Sticker Star is by far one of the worst culprits of this we’ve seen in some time, as you often have to retread the same ground literally dozens of times.

That combined with no new locations (same old Mushroom Kingdom haunts) and no story is going to be a pass, I think. I just don't get why Nintendo is so intent to move backward across the board. The 3DS has been a horrible purchase. There's not a single killer game on it despite major first party releases that isn't a port.
nate

Postby TSL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am

That stinks, dude. I read a piece of a review for Sticker Star earlier this week that had me concerned about you. #Dagger. :cry:
TSL

Postby nate » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Yeah. I just don't get why a game would have fighting battles be actively detrimental. In Tales of Graces, at the end of battles, I have 4 characters any of whom could a. level up, b. learn their equipped skill, c. gain armor improvements based off my crafting, d. gain new titles to assist b, or e. gain new materials to assist c. I never need to grind, but I've almost always got some reward coming my way after a battle. (By the way, once you get a hold on the battle system in this game, it absolutely FLOORS the rest of the series).
nate

Postby TSL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:13 pm

That's EXACTLY how I felt about Vesperia. Once you learn the proper skills, battles were fun as crap. And it was nice because it gave you an incentive to fight and level to learn said skills and provided a significant challenge to you early in the game.

I thought about copping Graces for my borrowed PS3, but I think I'll hold out for Ni No Kuni.
TSL

Postby TSL » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Ok... So I'm currently playing...

Borderlands 2 - Finishing up achievements at this point and waiting for new DLC.

MorphX - This joint was like $4 bones, so I couldn't pass. I need to regularly remind myself that games that cost $4 bones cost $4 bones for a reason. (This sentence has taught me that I really enjoy saying $4 bones... Thanks MorphX)

Dark Souls - I really like Dark Souls. The only part I don't really like is how long it takes to get the souls needed to purchase items and level up once you get over level 30. Other than that, the game is money.

Fallout New Vegas - I have NO idea why I picked this game back up other than the soundtrack... This game is as boring as I remember it.

Too Human - Had to cop it since Silicon Knights got ordered to discontinue sales. I've always wanted to play it, so nows my chance... And for only $2 bones.

I really can't wait for Far Cry 3 to drop!!! I need something more instantly gratifying than the games I'm currently playing.
TSL

Postby nate » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

I put in crazy time in Tales of Graces F this weekend. As in like 8 hours over the past 2 days. That's more than I've played in the past 2 months, I think. :lol: I'm probably 3/4 or so through the main story. Probably only like 3/5 when you count the epilogue, though. REALLY wish that was further along. :(
nate

Postby blitz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm

B - Did you play through True Vault Hunter on Borderlands 2? I am tearing through the story part and that way when I do finish the side missions will be scaled... really just waiting to get the bee shield, infinte ammo pistol, and some other weapons.

Was playing Demon's Souls for a while but then picked up Borderlands 2....

And tomorrow is the big day, Black Ops 2. There goes my life...
blitz

Postby kknd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 pm

nate wrote:3DS

GET VIRTUE'S LAST REWARD... RIGHT... NOW
kknd

Next

Return to Gaming