Current Playlist

Moderator: nate

Re: Current Playlist

Postby rwburnham » Mon May 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Lightning Solves All Problems (Steam) - I finished this game as a full-on dark side character. Level 3 Force Lightning is basically a built-in cheat code. I was unable to convert Atton to a Jedi, which is disappointing because I focused on Charisma and Persuasion, and I talked to Atton as often as possible.

Final Fantasy VI (Steam) - I was feeling fairly geared up, so I decided to check out the Phoenix Cave. I had to use two parties to get around the place, as there are a series of buttons that unlock various things. It was kind of a pain, but I was getting nice experience and AP. I ran into a Red Dragon, which was fairly easy to beat considering it’s technically a boss fight. After beating it the game told me I had seven more dragons to beat. What the hell? I read up on them and it turns out that beating all eight granted you some magicite. Also, two of the either are located in the final tower, so I’ll have to beat the other six before heading for the end boss. At the bottom of the Phoenix Cave I found Locke, who decided to use the Phoenix magicite to resurrect his long dead girlfriend. Once reborn, she told him to use the magicite to save the world, and died again. Poor Locke. With him in my party, I was able to collect the Ragnarok magicite from Narshe. I also picked up a new Blitz move for Sabin, even though I hate the Blitz system. I picked up Strago near a large tower. The only characters I am still missing are Cyan, Shadow, Gau, and Gogo, so I’ll be focusing on getting them next.

Dragon Quest V (Android) - I played this game for a few minutes on my Android tablet and then requested a refund. The controls are terrible. In the interest of wanting to remain active in this group, maybe it’s time to buy another 3DS (I sold my old one awhile back) because there are a lot of great RPGs on that platform.

Rust (Steam) - A friend of mine made a Rust server and suggested I try the game. I found it on sale for seven dollars so I went for it. This game is essentially Boy Scouts lost on an island. After wandering around for awhile because of the lack of a map I was able to finally find my friend’s little house of wood on the west side of the island. Once I gathered enough wood, I was able to turn that into paper and then make a map. It’s a very crude mapping system. I understand the game wants to be as realistic as possible, but a better mapping system would be nice. My friend and I spent the next few hours gathering stone and wood. At one point we saw a plane fly by and drop a box of supplies so we ran way out into the wilderness to get it. I killed some pigs along the way and cooked their meat. I was not able to kill this one chicken I found, because I only had a spear. My friend suggested I make a bow and some arrows. A couple of bears attacked our house. My friend killed the first one with arrows while I ran around screaming. Bears are bad news in this game. The second bear killed me, but I was able to find my way back to our house and get my stuff back. We had just begun building a stone wall around our house when a helicopter showed up and mowed us down. When we got back to our house to recover our bodies, we found that half the house had been obliterated. My friend began working on a second house nearby, but this one was made of stone. As he built, I continued to collect resources. I ran into a horse and stabbed it, but it ran off. “You really need a bow” my friend reminded me. I finally made a bow but the day was getting late so we called it quits.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 am

EverQuest II - After one play session, my wife decided she was done with this game, so I’ve been soloing my way around Norrath as my Shadow Knight. I cleaned up a few old quests that had been a lot harder to solo before the level cap was raised to 100 (although I only just hit level 93). I upgraded my Coldain ring to platinum. I have been spending most of my time in Cobalt Scar, because there is a line of solo quests there that offers nice upgrades to my equipment. I don’t think I’ll be playing this game long term, but for now it’s the only MMO I want to play.

Civilization V - On my last play-through as Mongolia, I focused on war. By the end of the game I had a big fleet of ships and a fair ground force. I thought I was doing well blasting anything and everything with ship canons, until someone sent a plane my way and bombed my ships. Obviously, another civilization had been better about unlocking flight, while I was busy focusing on naval combat. Ultimately I was defeated because being constantly at war is very expensive and makes citizens mad. On the plus side, war is extremely entertaining.
rwburnham

Postby Kazriko » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 am

So far behind...

Finished: Dragon's Dogma, Ratchet and Clank, Phineas and Ferb

Current Goals:
Portable: Trails of Cold Steel -> Nostalgia -> Atelier Ayesha Plus -> Breath of Fire 4
Home PS3: Star Ocean 4 -> Remember Me -> Ni No Kuni -> Disgaea D2 -> FF13 Lightning Returns
Home Other: Shining Force EXA -> Vagrant Story -> Disgaea 5 -> Xenoblade Chronicles X -> Earthbound

Saturdays, and randomly: Overwatch
Kazriko

Postby rwburnham » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:49 am

EverQuest II - As it turns out, my wife is not done with this game. She enjoyed our recent romp through the Moors of Ykesha, so we were back at it again this past Sunday with her Paladin and my Warden. Before we set out, we stopped by the broker in Qeynos to gear up. I found some nice weapon and armor upgrades for good prices, although my new armor has ridiculous shoulder spikes. It’s like the 1980s all over again. My wife was able to grab a few ability and armor upgrades.

We spent several hours running quests in the Moors of Ykesha, sticking mostly to U.J.L. 1.0 (the area near the zone entrance). By the end of the evening we made our way down to the Firmroot Moot (which is a great band name, by the way). We took out some named monsters at the nearby ruins. Nothing in this zone is really challenging for us, so I think the next time we play we’re going to try The Ruins of Guk, Anchor of Bazzul, and Obelisk of Ahkzul, as those are higher level dungeons that should provide the right level of risk and reward.

Summoners War - This is one of the only mobile games I am playing regularly. It’s still early, so right now I’m just grinding experience, and trying to find the right mix of characters. My favorite so far it a weird cowardly carrot monster.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Dragon Quest V - I decided that I missed having a Nintendo console in the house, so I bought a 3DS XL (NES Edition) and Dragon Quest V. The early hours of this game are mainly story, and the writing is downright adorable. Finding a book on a shelf only to be reminded that your main character cannot read had me laughing out loud. When the game does allow combat in these early segments, it’s still the same satisfying turn-based combat that I love.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - A few hours into this game and it’s still just weird. Girls who transform into buxom women with big swords? Weird. The combat reminds me of Ni No Kuni because it is a mix of action and turns. I think a full on turn-based combat system would have been a better choice. The plot continues to be nonsensical. All I know is that this one evil lady is trying to take the powers of one of my characters, but she keeps getting thwarted.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Despite the several flaws in this game, and despite having played it on the Xbox One, I picked up the Steam version on sale because there is enough of the core gameplay to make the game fun. The early hours of the game are mostly a joy. It’s only when we get to the later hours and the game is heavy on Batmobile segments and overly complex combat that things fall apart. Still, smashing a criminal’s face into an electrical panel is a heck of a lot of fun.

Dawn of War II: Retribution - I am working on the Orc campaign mainly for achievements. Even after spending hundreds of hours with this series, I still can’t get enough of it.

Doom - I can only play this game one mission at a time before needing a break because it’s so frantic.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - I reinstalled this, but only played for a couple of hours before getting frustrated and uninstalling. This game is as maddening as it is brilliant, and I think that’s where the frustration comes from. If the game was crap, I wouldn’t care that the late game is a painful pit of hell.

Aquaria - I swam around for 30 minutes and then got bored.

Drakensang - I bought this based on Bryant’s recommendation, but I could not get it to run in full screen. Even in windowed mode, it crashed a lot, so I asked for a refund. Maybe when they work out the bugs I’ll give it another go.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Off to a good start as a magic user. I am still trying to figure out a good set of companions. I love playing mage classes because I can let my companions get their hands bloody while I stand back and fling magic at people.

Secrets of Grindea - Like a Legend of Zelda game, but a little heavier on RPG elements, specifically the leveling system. Where has this game been all my life?
rwburnham

Postby TSL » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Star Ocean 5 - I've hit a wall of boredom with this game. Now I see why everyone is complaining about the backtracking. This game desperately needs a fast travel system to eliminate all the running around. So much for SO5 "saving" JPRGs. At this point, I think it's a genre that needs to finally die off. Developers simply will not evolve the mechanics that make these games so tedious.

Tying Specialty progression to the story is also a huge mistake. That's the type of crap I'd expect from Bioware.

Oh well, somewhere underneath all SO5's issues is a decent game. But sheesh, it makes the player work hard to love it.
TSL

Previous

Return to Gaming