Current Playlist

Moderator: nate

Re: Current Playlist

Postby TSL » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm really hoping the Nintendo NX has remote play on its mobile device. I think the key to my gaming problems right now is that unless a game is viciously engaging (which happens maybe two or three times a generation for me) I just get pulled away too often to dedicate the 10s of hours needed to play them properly (God I miss the days when you could beat games in under 3 hours).

Being able to play games in my bed is going to become necessary for me as a gamer as I get older. I just can't stick with 40 to 100-hour adventures when I have to sit in my office to play them.
TSL

Postby Kazriko » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:09 pm

TSL wrote:I'm really hoping the Nintendo NX has remote play on its mobile device. I think the key to my gaming problems right now is that unless a game is viciously engaging (which happens maybe two or three times a generation for me) I just get pulled away too often to dedicate the 10s of hours needed to play them properly (God I miss the days when you could beat games in under 3 hours).

Being able to play games in my bed is going to become necessary for me as a gamer as I get older. I just can't stick with 40 to 100-hour adventures when I have to sit in my office to play them.

(Quietly suggests a Playstation Vita with its remote play to PS4... ;)
Kazriko

Postby rwburnham » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:36 am

Knights of the Old Republic II (PC) - I had such a good time playing this recently, that I started a new character. This time I am a male Jedi Counselor and I’ll be heading quickly towards the dark side.

Final Fantasy VI (PC) - After acquiring the new airship, I have managed to find Terra, Mog, Relm, and Umaro. All that’s left are Gogo, Shadow, Strago, Locke, Gau and Cyan. I am not using a walk-through just yet in my hunt for my friends, but I have a feeling that will change soon. Amaro is neat because he is on auto-attack in every battle and he does a ton of damage. If Mog is in my party with him, he will grab Mog and throw him at enemies. They're such a cute couple.

Vagrant Hearts (PC) - I bought this game because it looks like a classic Dragon Warrior style RPG, but at the moment I have not been able to figure out how to leave the first town.

XCOM 2 (PC) - After 30 hours of getting my ass handed to me, I had to step away from the game. It’s really, really hard, even on the Rookie setting. XCOM was tough but not this tough. I hear that the decision to ramp up the difficulty was made late in development. I think that was a bad move. It’s a shame because the mechanics of the game are better than the first one. All they need to do is bump the difficulty down a notch or two. A friend of mine claims that I am just lousy at the game and she's probably correct. :roll: I'll give it another shot at some point.

XCOM (PC) - While I am taking a break from XCOM 2, I am playing the first game just to see if I am crazy or not. This game is still tough, but not as annoying and cheap as XCOM 2. I can lose a trooper now and then and still be well on my way to winning the war.

Civilization V (PC)- The world will bow to the might of the great Augustus Caesar and my army of nice people who attend church and grow crops!

Broken Age (PC) - I rarely play games like this, but I like the art style very much. So far the most interesting thing I have done is try to find a lost knife.

Goodbye Deponia (PC) - I spent a little time with this odd adventure game, but eventually grew tired of the attempts at humor. This game tries way too hard to be funny.

Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries (PC) - This is a platformer game where you play as Little Red Riding Hood. It’s a neat take on the genre, but at times I don’t think it explains the mechanics of the game clearly enough. How do I fight the robot guys? Don’t know!
rwburnham

Postby Kazriko » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

rwburnham wrote:Broken Age (PC) - I rarely play games like this, but I like the art style very much. So far the most interesting thing I have done is try to find a lost knife.

Goodbye Deponia (PC) - I spent a little time with this odd adventure game, but eventually grew tired of the attempts at humor. This game tries way too hard to be funny.

Broken Age was great. Have you played previous Deponia games? Goodbye Deponia is the 3rd in the series. It is a german game, so maybe the humor is just a bit odd.

I haven't had much game playing time. Been working until and after midnight a lot recently.

Finished: Sly 3, Antichamber.
Leveled 4 classes up to Creator in Fantasy Life.

Up to sequence 6 on AC2.

Updated goals:
Portable: Tales of Hearts R -> Trails of Cold Steel & Nostalgia
Home PS3: Assassin's Creed 2 & Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -> Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension -> Remember Me -> Ni No Kuni -> Disgaea D2
Home Other: Vagrant Story -> Disgaea 5 -> Xenoblade Chronicles X -> Earthbound

Saturdays, and randomly: Minecraft
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am

Here's what I'm playing now:

Final Fantasy XIV: Gears of Change (3.2, latest patch)
I've caught up to the point where most people jump onto the gear grinding treadmill, but I don't think I'll be doing that. I've still got a few more things to do (like the new Alexander: Midas normal mode raids) before calling this patch "beat", but I've been faffing about with crafting for a bit which has delayed me getting to that. Having fun with the game still, but I'll (hopefully) be backing off of it a bit before I get hooked completely. I'm planning on keeping my sub up and playing casually, doing stuff like crafting and leveling other classes, but not feeling beholden to the treadmill -- not capping my weekly tomestones or raiding. I've got about 50 hours invested into this patch.

Far Cry Primal (PS4)
I've had this rental copy for about a month now, and it's sat there on my desk while I've been playing FF14 for the past 3 weeks or so. Started playing this more seriously this past weekend and I've really been enjoying it. The game feels fresh yet familiar... and it's pretty fun taking out a camp of cannibal cavemen with a saber-tooth tiger pal at my side. About 10 hours in and while HLTB.com estimates it at 15, I'll probably take longer than that.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (WiiU)
Playing this at work over lunchbreaks and having a lot of fun with it. I brought my WiiU into work and have it hooked up behind my pc. Been playing on the GamePad so it's almost like playing on an HD vita or something. I'd not played Wind Waker since the GC version came out many years ago... so I don't remember all that much from it. I'm about 13 hours in. After I finish the game, I've got Twilight Princess HD queued up. Eager to play that one.

merph518

Postby rwburnham » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 am

I have not previously played a Deponia game, so that might explain why the game feels odd to me.

XCOM (PC) - Going back to this game after playing the flawed XCOM 2, it is clear to me that the folks who made this game knew what they were doing. It’s a very tough, and sometimes frustrating, but every defeat is a lesson for the player. Currently, I just started using Mec technology, but I am finding the Mec troopers to be too vulnerable to be effective. Also, for whatever reason I have an abundance of heavy weapons troopers. I have so many heavies, I might have to do some missions with only heavies just as a goof. We managed to build our own alien key, so we can go hit the alien base at any time, and I think we’re just about ready for that.

XCOM 2 (PC) - Things were going relatively well on my fourth attempt at this game, until my flying base was shot down. The mission to follow gave me access to every one of my troopers instead of just the usual 4 to 6. Our goal was to destroy the EMP machine that brought us down and then get everyone back on the ship. At first we were wiping the floor with the aliens. Then the reinforcements began, one alien squad every couple of turns, until they had wiped out all but three of my guys. I won the mission but lost 90% of my entire army. It was brutal. I am now trying to rebuild my forces, but it’s tough because I am working with all rookies again. They are probably all going to die.

Civ V (PC) - I started a new game as Augustus Caesar, and I am trying hard to create a new religion. I think I’m the right path, since I am building a temple in every city, but this game can be a little obtuse in terms of how to reach some of the goals. Ironically enough, as I walk the path of faith I am simultaneously moving quickly towards a science victory, because I guess I just want everyone to be happy. I’ve avoided most conflicts, except for that Montezuma guy, who starts a war with me, then after I stomp a few of his troops, he’s all “Oh sorry I was just kidding, ha ha!” What a jerk.
rwburnham

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:45 pm

My current playlist has ballooned once again!

What I'm Playing:

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (WiiU)
Still just playing this one at work, the new home of my Wii U. 23 hours in and approaching the end of the game, slowly.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
I started playing this one over the weekend. Instead of rushing into Twilight Princess HD after finishing Wind Waker, I figured I'd play through Wind Waker's two sequels. And since Wind Waker is a replay (I beat it back on GC on the day), I wasn't worried about spoilers and started it a bit early. About 4 hours into the game now. Initially the touch controls bothered me, but I'm getting used to them.

Playing this mostly when I'm in mobile-only situations, but since I've been enjoying it, I've been sneaking more time in here and there.

Final Fantasy XIV (PC)
Finally finished all of the 3.2 patch content (so I'm all caught up now) outside Sephirot Extreme and Alexander Midas Savage -- I'm not going to participate in endgame/raiding anymore. My next goal is to level Black Mage to 60. Currently sitting at 57. Playing this pretty casually, before this weekend it had been about a week since I'd played.

The Book of Unwritten Tales (PC)
This game is meh. I bought the sequel to it on PS4 on a lark, assuming I'd enjoy it. I then asked for and received the first game for Christmas from a friend. I started playing it and its ridiculous puzzles had me running to a walkthrough. Not that I typically mind that -- I'll play adventure games just for the experience... but the experience here is dull. The puzzles are really dense so you don't get a lot of cool areas to explore. The "humor" isn't as funny as its writers want to think it is... it comes off very dry.

I'm six hours in and on the 4th chapter. From what I read, I'm nearing the end thankfully. At this point I would have quit the game and said "no thanks" quite a while ago if not for it being a gift and for having bought the sequel already. I'm hoping that the second game is better, but my hopes aren't very high.

Playing this game at home when I am able to force myself to play it.

What I'm Playing Soon:

Bravely Second Demo (3DS)
Downloaded and ready to go. I'll likely sneak this into my rotation sometime soon.

Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4)
Preordered this to show my support for the adventure genre (despite my recent experience with Unwritten Tales) and because I've always wanted to play this game. This game will definitely shoot ahead of Unwritten Tales in priority and most likely ahead of Phantom Hourglass as well for home play.

Republique (PS4)
Renting this one, just shipped off today (3/21) and should arrive for the weekend. I'd had my eye on it for a while as a potential tablet game, but I never really game on my tablet so I never pulled the trigger. Going to give it a shot at some point. There's not a lot I want to rent right now and I needed to use the account for something.

The Walking Dead: Michonne: Episode 2: Give No Shelter (PS4)
Comes out 3/29. I'll likely finish this game on day 1 or day 2, if it doesn't download fast enough to play on day 1.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3)
Resuming play of this game on 4/1 for RPG Club if not sooner. I'll likely make it top priority for play at home until I complete it. Currently 23 hours in and on Chapter 3, but haven't played it in about a month.

Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS)
Preordered this and am pretty excited about it -- releases 4/15. Not sure how I'll prioritize it, but I'll get time in for it somehow. It'll probably eclipse my work- and mobile-only options, essentially pausing my Zelda playthroughs until I finish it.

merph518

Postby rwburnham » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:49 pm

XCOM 2 (PC) - I was noticing that the snake ladies in this game are weirdly sexy (they have big boobs, they love giving hugs). Anyway, the rebuilding of my army is going surprisingly well. I have learned a lot about the game, specifically: buy squad equipment upgrades (like Magnetic Rifles) as soon as possible, recruit engineers as often as possible, and unlock new contacts as quickly as possible to be able to adequately address “doomsday” missions.

I am impressed by how one squad equipment upgrade can turn the tide. One half-way good sniper with a magnetic rifle can lay waste to a battlefield. While I am still occasionally losing a soldier, my army is growing. The enemy is getting tougher, but so am I. I still abhor timed missions (and the fact they are occur so frequently), because they fly in the face of the patience that I learned from the first game.

I just completed a research project that allows me to build plasma weapons, so I am hoping to build those soon so I can shout “Plasma in the FACE!” to the aliens.

Final Fantasy V (PC) - I had stopped playing this game for a bit due to being annoyed by the bugs, but I picked it up again after it became game of the month for round 17 in the RPG Club. I finished the part where you have to visit some large meteorites with Cid and Mid and defeat some boss monsters. They were mostly easy, but I was having trouble with Purobolos because it consists of 8 Bomb creatures. The trick is to use only magic and hit them all at once. Everyone else should avoid attacking. All it took were a handful of spells or summons and I was done and done. Next up, my three characters teleported away to a new place where they were immediately jailed. Luckily Galuf showed up to bail them out and we were back in business.

Dawn of War II (PC) - I ran through one quick mission to get my Warhammer fix. Ah, sweet violence.
rwburnham

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Knocked a bunch of stuff off my plate.

What I'm Playing:

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
About 12 hours into the game now and will be focused solely on it until it's completed. My plan is to wrap it up before the end of the month, should have plenty of time.

What I'm Playing Soon:

The Walking Dead: Michonne: Episode 2: Give No Shelter (PS4)
This comes out tomorrow. I'll play through it as soon as it's downloaded -- should only take a couple hours.

Bravely Second Demo (3DS)
Downloaded and ready to go. I'll play this at work / in mobile situations after finishing Phantom Hourglass.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3)
Resuming play of this game on 4/1 for RPG Club -- it'll be my goto game to play at home. Currently 23 hours in and on Chapter 3, but haven't played it in about a month and a half.

Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS)
Preordered this and am pretty excited about it -- releases 4/15. This will be a work / mobile only option until Cold Steel is done, then I'll focus on it completely.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:21 pm

I've been slacking on updating this!

Finished: AC2

On the last section: Tales of Hearts R. 34 hours in and I'm up to the last dungeon, wandering around the main planet now finishing sidequests before I take it on.
Just starting: Dragon's Dogma. Focusing on missable quests before moving the storyline along.

Updated goals:
Portable: Tales of Hearts R -> Trails of Cold Steel & Nostalgia
Home PS3: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -> Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension -> Remember Me -> Ni No Kuni -> Disgaea D2
Home Other: Vagrant Story -> Disgaea 5 -> Xenoblade Chronicles X -> Earthbound

Saturdays, and randomly: Minecraft

Cool, I've gotten up to 40% completion on PSNProfiles.
Kazriko

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming