Games Completed 2015

Moderator: nate

Re: Games Completed 2015

Postby Kazriko » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:59 am

#1 Dec/#86 2015, Xeodrifter. It's like Axiom Verge, but tiny and cute. The gameplay was also tiny and cute and didn't last longer than I wanted it to. Nice quick game to smash down while waiting for the PS4 monitor to be freed up.
Kazriko

Postby fsmetal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:07 am

I just beat Manos: Hands of Fate for my practice run of the game. This just reaffirmed that I fucking suck at 8 bit style platformers. I beat it, but the game kicked my teeth in
fsmetal

Postby merph518 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:54 am

109 - 11/25/2015 - Minecraft - Story Mode: Episode 3: The Last Place You Look - PS4 - 1.5 hours
I'm still surprised at how fast these episodes have been coming out. This one was a lot better than the previous one. I'm no longer disappointed in the series... instead I'm starting to enjoy it a bit. Not Telltale's best, but it's serviceable.

110 - 12/09/2015 - Fallout 4 - PS4 - 70 hours
Fallout 4 is a great game until you realize it isn't. There's so much to do that I got completely hooked on exploring every point of interest on the map, picking up every bit of scrap I possibly could for crafting and doing every mission I could find that wasn't the main story. Unfortunately, after 50 hours it started to get very samey. Find a new area, explore and pick up shit, fight off one of a few different enemy types. War never changes? Apparently neither does side content.

When I started to get fed up with the side content, I returned to the main story. While the main questline was definitely more interesting, it was really short. I expected more of an adventure to find out where my lost son was, but I didn't get it. And at the end, once you choose which side you're going to support, the missions degrade toward the end of the game to the point where you're asked to just wipe out a few of the factions yours doesn't care for. The ending itself is the ultimate let down. No big reveal or anything, just a short cut scene that ultimately says nothing before you're dumped back into the world. You don't even get a credit roll.

It's not a bad game. It's just not as good as I'd hoped. I'll likely still buy it when the eventual GOTY version comes out to play through the DLC.

111 - 12/11/2015 - Destiny (Vanilla Story) - PS4 - 20 hours
I've been enjoying this game quite a bit more than I ever expected to. Playing it co-op with a friend of mine who recently got a PS4. Calling the vanilla (or year one content) beat as we've finished all of the story quests and moved into the Taken King content. The second year stuff seems to have a big uptick in quality over the first year, so I'm looking forward to experiencing these new missions.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:23 am

#2 Dec/#87 2015, Fallout 4. I enjoyed it, though I was getting a bit burned out by the end. The solution I've found to the sameness of games like this is taking breaks from it so it becomes new again. There's things in this game that are better than New Vegas, and things that are worse. The story is worse, the ending is worse, but the crafting and building systems are better. The crafting system makes most of the enemy drops useless, unless you decide not to level crafting much, then the enemy drops serve as a source of mods for your main weapons. The junk serves a purpose finally, but almost nothing else in the game is worth picking up. The armor system is more interesting this time. The endings and the factions are terrible. New vegas had much better factions. A mixed bag all around.

I did realize while playing this that I never did go back and play the DLC for new vegas, so I should probably do that sometime. I also didn't finish the other 3 endings for new vegas. I should find the GOTY edition.

#3 Dec/#88 2015, LOOPical. An android game, but a windows version exists. It's a logic puzzle that gives you some clues as to how to place your loops, and using those clues you need to draw a loop that passes through every square once on the grid. One of those "Axe Sharpening" logic games I play to keep myself focused. I'll probably finish one more of those this month as well. LOOPical was short, and only $0.99.

#4 Dec/#89 2015, Among the Sleep. I didn't expect that ending, though I guess it makes sense given some of the imagery.
Kazriko

Postby fsmetal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:04 am

I do not remember if I mentioned this, but I beat an 8 bit style indie platformer called Manos: The Hands of Fate. It is by Freakzone Games, the guy that made the Angry Video Game Nerd game. IT is a lot less difficult than that is. It is based on the film of the same name, and it takes inspiration from other B movies like Plan 9 From Outter Space, The Giant Claw and Robot Monster. It is a fun little game, and I did a video review of it.
fsmetal

Postby Kazriko » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:36 am

#5 Dec/#90 2015, Pathpix Xmas. My third pathpix and fourth Kris Pixton puzzle game of the year. I finished this one on Christmas just because I could. :D I actually had 98 puzzles done on the 22nd, and saved the last, #99, for Christmas. I'm sure I've described pathpix before, so I'll just refer you to prior posts. (PathPix Boo, PathPix Zen, LOOPical, and PathPix Xmas.)

I think I'll get Pathpix Magic next, but that'll have to wait until I get a replacement phone. It's not easy to transfer the saved games across, and this phone is on its way out... It's having serious trouble retaining a charge and the camera died...

#6 Dec/#91 2015, The Stanley Parable. Got most of the endings, but I'm never going to get the "art ending". Never.

#7 Dec/#92 2015, Sine Mora. Sine Mora is a very interesting game. A side scrolling shooter. Instead of a health bar or a set number of times you can get hit, Sine Mora has a timer. Every enemy you destroy increases the timer by between 1 and 20 seconds. Each time you get hit, you lose 5 seconds. That timer constantly goes down while you're playing. The story is a big thing about revenge and time travel, and in the end it ends up being all a pointless story, at least in the main ending. Dunno about the hidden ending because I haven't played it. The game is just too hard for me to do much more than muddle through the storyline with using tons of continues. The worst part is the sections where you have to do everything perfectly or its instant death. Meh.

This is probably the last game I'll finish this year, I don't know if I have the time for more.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:13 pm

8 games beaten and only one that was longer than 12 hours or so. Altogether, there's maybe 75 hours of playtime there? Some of y'all put longer than that into a single game. :oops:
nate

Postby Kazriko » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:23 am

nate wrote:8 games beaten and only one that was longer than 12 hours or so. Altogether, there's maybe 75 hours of playtime there? Some of y'all put longer than that into a single game. :oops:

Well, I definitely put more than that into Fallout 4. I can't say there were too many others this year that were that long though. I played a whole lot of little things too.
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:43 pm

112 - 12/14/2015 - The Binding of Isaac - Rebirth - PS4 - 1 hour
I only count this as "beat" as I got the credit roll. Had an incredibly lucky first seed with some particularly powerful items. Beat Mom on my first attempt at playing the game on PS4, something I've only done a couple times on PC.

113 - 12/30/2015 - Xenoblade Chronicles X - WiiU - 90.5 hours
I got really into this game... almost to the point where I wanted to keep going and do all the post-game content. I'll probably go back to it at some point, but I have so many other games I'd like to play that I'll call it done for now.

114 - 12/31/2015 - Shovel Knight - PS4 - 5.75 hours
Rented the physical release from GameFly and had a lot of fun with it. Beat the vanilla game in about a day and a half and then moved onto the Plague Knight DLC.

And that's all she wrote for 2015. It was a record-breaker for me, last year was 80 games finished. (Which was a record-breaker last January.)

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:08 am

merph518 wrote:And that's all she wrote for 2015. It was a record-breaker for me, last year was 80 games finished. (Which was a record-breaker last January.)

Beat me by 22 games. Impressive. My 92 was also the best I've ever done by 8 games.
Kazriko

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming