Games you dropped, 2015

Moderator: nate

Games you dropped, 2015

Postby Kazriko » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Here's an idea for another thread. What games have you decided you're not going to finish this year, and why?
Kazriko

Re: Games you dropped, 2015

Postby Kazriko » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:13 pm

I'll go first here, since I just did a big purge

Paperwork. I like the art style, but the game devolves into a long series of memorizing and executing jumps perfectly, and having to do them over and over. The first level took me 15-20 minutes and 30 or 40 tries to get right. The story payout was minimal for doing this. I decided I wasn't masochistic enough to continue playing this one. 302 Megabytes saved.

Bittrip Runner 2. I loved the aesthetic of this one, but it's the exact same complaint as Paperwork, though it's not quite as brutal. I finished one entire storyline chapter of this before deciding that it wasn't for me. 578 MB freed

Futuridium EP Deluxe. A game where you make passes on a 3D object over and over until you shoot all of the blue objects floating above the 3d structure. You can only pick the direction you go from 2, and can't rotate your ship at all. I just wasn't getting into the game much, and got annoyed when it would position me a long distance from the object when I crashed, and make me go through the tedium of flying back to it. 262MB saved.

Ethan: Meteor Hunter. discrete platforming levels with challenges to collect all of the items. I think I'd normally enjoy a game like this, but for some reason it just fell flat to me. Maybe it was the limited number of pause and move object chances you have, or the tedium of pausing and positioning the items just perfectly so you can continue. I just wasn't enjoying it after a few levels. 369mb saved.

Mousecraft. Tetris combined with lemmings. I got stuck in one place early on, went back to try it a few months later and was still stuck. Meh. 246mb saved.

Galactic Junk. You can only move by firing your turret. An interesting concept, and a game that seems like I would enjoy it... Except, the only controls are touch screen, touching where you want to fire. With my fingers covering up the action, the game becomes tediously annoying. Could have been great as an analog shooter. 110 MB saved.

Kickbeat. The tutorial wasn't bad, but this game definitely throws you in on the deep end on the first story mission. I just couldn't adapt to its quick action and multiple button presses. Probably not a bad game for rhythm game fans, but too hard for me. 909mb saved.

Let's Fish! Hooked On. It's a beautiful game, but it's much more simulationy than I like my fishing experience, and I'm not sure if any payoff in the game is worth it. 1479mb freed.
Kazriko

Postby TSL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:16 pm

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl - Because I was burnt out by all the killing with no character progression whatsoever. If a game is gonna be 20+hrs long, it needs to have RPG character building elements for me to enjoy it... Plain and simple.
TSL

Postby Kazriko » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 am

Hey look, you're at 1000 posts now. :)
Kazriko

Postby rwburnham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 am

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC) - I had to give this one up because the second half of the game was just too frustrating. I guess I could go back and do some leveling, but even doing that was getting tedious. It's a fine game overall, but it just couldn't hold my attention all the way to the end.

Fantasy Life (3DS) - This is a neat game, with a lot of charm, but for some reason it just hasn't prompted me to turn on the 3DS lately. To be fair, I am planning to sell my 3DS soon, so I think my patience for games on this platform is limited.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (3DS) - There is nothing wrong with this game, but since I played Awakening first, Shadow Dragon just feels outdated and unrefined. No need to keep my 3DS just to play this. I'd rather get the Wii version.

Conception II (3DS) - As the final game I played on my 3DS, I certainly finished on an odd note. I only lasted about an hour with this one. Combat was sort of fun, but seemed to require a lot steps. The problem was getting through the extensive dialog just to get to the early combat. It's actually a unique, clever game, but I just couldn't get into it. With the abandonment of this game, I am done with the 3DS, with no plans to replace it with another portable system.
rwburnham

Postby Kazriko » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am

rwburnham wrote:To be fair, I am planning to sell my 3DS soon, so I think my patience for games on this platform is limited.

I wish I could do the same, but there's too many games that I really want to play on it. If you count DS games, I still have 34 to play. It's really too bad, because I consider the 3DS and 3DSXL to be two of the worst designed handhelds ever made.

Shake Spears (PSVita) A free to play game, I figured I'd try it really fast so it didn't clutter my system up too long. It's mostly touch screen, you swipe up and down to move the shield, and left and right to target the spear. It's basically medieval jousting made into a casual game. After finishing the first 5 rounds, and seeing how many there were, I decided it wasn't worth continuing.
Kazriko

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

There's a lot, but I have to say Tales of Xillia 2, and Tales of Symphonia 2. While Tales of Xillia 2 isn't a bad game, just there are other better games out there that I rather be playing. Tales of Symphonia 2 just droves me kind of crazy - the battle system could have been good but it's too harsh, also I could not stand the 3D models from Tales of Symphonia 1 character cameos. I'm also not a fan of monster catching party members!

I also dropped Trails of the Sky, again just a game I don't have the attention span for yet -- probably will have at some point though.
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby Kazriko » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 pm

SoulEaterQUEEN wrote:There's a lot, but I have to say Tales of Xillia 2, and Tales of Symphonia 2. While Tales of Xillia 2 isn't a bad game, just there are other better games out there that I rather be playing. Tales of Symphonia 2 just droves me kind of crazy - the battle system could have been good but it's too harsh, also I could not stand the 3D models from Tales of Symphonia 1 character cameos. I'm also not a fan of monster catching party members!

I also dropped Trails of the Sky, again just a game I don't have the attention span for yet -- probably will have at some point though.

So far, the only tails game I've completely dropped is Tales of Phantasia. I'll play the rest eventually. (I've never actually finished one though.)
Kazriko

Postby rwburnham » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:41 am

Kazriko wrote:
rwburnham wrote:To be fair, I am planning to sell my 3DS soon, so I think my patience for games on this platform is limited.

I wish I could do the same, but there's too many games that I really want to play on it. If you count DS games, I still have 34 to play. It's really too bad, because I consider the 3DS and 3DSXL to be two of the worst designed handhelds ever made.

I agree. The whole DS line has been a blast, but even the XL versions have been tough on my adult hands. I wish Nintendo would bring more portable franchises to the Wii U.

I am in much the same boat with my 360 as you are with your 3DS in that I have a bunch of titles still to play.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 am

Risen 2 (PC) - It's not a bad game, but I feel like it's getting in the way of me getting to better games with a similar style of gameplay. Even Risen 3 would probably be a better option.

Civilization V (PC) - For having had such a blast the first time around, I am surprised by just how little I want to play it again. Even the demo of Beyond Earth was neat but didn't inspire a purchase.

Transistor (PC) - This was the most depressing abandonment of recent months. Such a neat game, with a great art style, soundtrack, voice-overs, and writing, but the combat was annoying. I appreciate them trying to make the game stand out, but I found combat to be tedious and frustrating, as I did with Bastion.

Hitman: Absolution (PC) - There are some neat things happening in this game, but it just didn't stick. To be fair, I got it for free when I bought a piece of hardware awhile back.
rwburnham

Next

Return to Gaming