Games you dropped, 2015

Moderator: nate

Re: Games you dropped, 2015

Postby nate » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Thank goodness I'm not the only person whose hands hate the DS systems. They cramp the crap out of my knuckles at the edge of my hands when I play too much over a couple of days.
nate

Postby Kazriko » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:33 pm

nate wrote:Thank goodness I'm not the only person whose hands hate the DS systems. They cramp the crap out of my knuckles at the edge of my hands when I play too much over a couple of days.

Well, at least with the original DS series, the only thing wrong was how you had to hold the system and how awkward it is with how the weight is distributed. With the 3DS, you add the circle pad in and it's an even worse experience. It does have some good games though. Maybe I need one of those grip cases for it. I tried doing a search on replacing the circle pad with an analog stick once, and came up with nothing.
Kazriko

Postby rwburnham » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:18 am

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - This is actually a pretty good game, but I did not like that you could only have one weapon on you at a time, forcing you to constantly steal weapons from enemies. I prefer having a more permanent set of weapons in games like this.
rwburnham

Postby nate » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Transistor- A fantastic game, but after 3 hours, I have no desire to pick it back up because it stresses me the $#%& out. I don't know why, but this game gives me ridiculous anxiety.
nate

Postby Kazriko » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Eufloria Adventures. It started up telling me to touch the screen to move...

I went and look at options, and saw there were "controls" options.

Went in there, found that there were only options for on-screen virtual touchpads...

You support on-screen touchpads, but not physical controls on a system that has physical controls? Dropped.
Kazriko

Postby goodlucksaturday » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Dropped Super Mario 64 DS. Controls and camera are just too frustrating. Makes sense as a showcase for the DS in 2004, but not a game to actually play in 2015.
goodlucksaturday

Postby rwburnham » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:25 am

Super Mario 64 was a great title when it first came out, but I tried to play in the 3DS a few months and I was horrified by how terrible it played. It's especially odd considering how well 2D Mario games tend to hold up.

Legend of Grimrock - If there is fun to be had here, I haven't found it. I am tired of wandering in the first dungeon, so I am out. Also, I am probably not going to buy the sequel. Frankly, I just have other better games to play.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North - This is not a bad game, but in the shadow of Shadow of Mordor it just feels clunky and awkward. Plus, since I am trying to finish my wish list of 360 games in order to replace it with a new console in preparation for Rock Band 4, I can't be bothered to stick with 360 titles that are anything less than stellar.
rwburnham

Postby goodlucksaturday » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:02 pm

It played well enough when I played it on the N64 a couple few years ago, but it doesn't really lend itself to portable formats, haha.
goodlucksaturday

Postby rwburnham » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Blue Dragon - This is actually a pretty neat RPG that I think would appeal to a lot of fans of the genre, especially those who enjoy the way modern RPGs are a little more fast-paced and action-oriented. Combat is mostly turn-based, but unfortunately some skills require that you time your button presses. I am to the point in my gaming life where I just don't want to play an RPG like that, so I have abandoned this game.

Spectral Force 3 - I was really liking the turn-based strategy combat of this game. It reminded me of games like XCOM and Fire Emblem. Sadly, combat eventually became cheap and frustrating. Do the monsters have to go after my mages and healers EVERY DAMN TIME? Yes, they do apparently, because I guess the game lacks a "taunt" ability. Not a bad game, I just have better titles to play.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Mon May 04, 2015 5:32 pm

7 Days to Die (PC) - There's a really neat game concept here, but I hated my brief time with it.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 (PC) - I enjoyed my time with the demo, but I don't see this as a future purchase. It's far more fun than it deserves to be.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (PC) - I think modern sim games have spoiled me, because I had trouble getting in to this one. I RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 is ever made, I'll try that.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 (PC) - Despite overcompensating for the linearity of the first game, I found this one to be pretty fun. Combat is a blast, exploring the various areas is fun, although the characters are kind of bland. Sadly it was the puzzles that wore me down. RPG makers: please do away with puzzles! Besides, now that FFIV: The After Years is out on Steam, I would rather play that.

Remember Me (PC) - What started off as a unique fighter game in the style of Batman turned into a bit of a chore. It's not a bad game, I just have better things to play.

Firefall (PC) - This online shooter was a bit too arcade-like for me.

The Simpsons Game (360) - Any fan of the show really should try this game. The couple of hours I spent with it were full of laughs. Unfortunately the game play got old fast. Darn shame, because I was loving the dialog.

Terminator Salvation (360) - This felt like a low-rent Gears of War. It was kind of fun, but failed to draw me in. With the abandoning of this game I have two more to try before I am done with my Xbox 360 and then it's looking pretty good that an Xbox One will be my new system for the upcoming Rock Band 4 game.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - Even though I do not like 3D platforming games, I managed to get to the end of World 2 before I finally grew tired of dying because I could not tell where I was going to land. I still dislike the genre, but this game came closer than any other game has come to changing my mind. Kudos, Nintendo.
rwburnham

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming