Games you dropped, 2015

Moderator: nate

Re: Games you dropped, 2015

Postby merph518 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 pm

My dropped games this year:

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
I didn't play this one all that much. I had other games I was more invested in at the time, and the hour or so I spent on it wasn't particularly engaging. I sent the game back to GameFly, it was a rental.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
Another rental that I didn't find time to play. I held onto it for a month before deciding to send it back and rent it again some other time. Nothing against the game itself, I literally just didn't play it.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)
Same as above. I think I was heavily invested into Borderlands 2 (Handsome Collection on PS4) and Bloodborne and didn't make time for this.

Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
I played a few matches and then sent this rental back. I was bummed that they nixed the adventure mode from Smash. That was primarily what I played in past games.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS)
This game just sucked. It was really slow (Sonic is supposed to be fast!) and they changed Sonic's super speed to a button press, not the default. Thankfully, again, it was just a rental so I sent it back.

Godzilla (PS4)
This game was a heap of shit. Sent the rental back to GF after spending an hour and a half trying to find some worth in it.

God of War III Remastered (PS4)
This one's actually a good game, but I had played through GoW3 on PS3 too recently to be able to enjoy it / want to replay it. Another rental returned early.

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess (PS4)
Not a bad game, really. It was pretty unique, setting up a series of elaborate traps to take down enemies. But unfortunately, that's about all it was. The story was meh and there was no gameplay other than small rooms to play with traps in. I eventually lost interest after about 8 hours of play.

Elder Scrolls Online: Unlimited (PS4)
I thought that it might be fun to play this on PS4. It wasn't. I own the game on PC, so I might play it there at some point... but the lack of a chatbox on console sucks. My first experience loading into the tutorial area was a crying baby, some player was ignoring his/her infant and letting it broadcast over voice comms.

Class of Heroes 2G (PS3)
I bought the limited edition physical release of this game. After playing it for about an hour, I regret that decision. It's a first person dungeon crawler, but it feels so basic that it compares unfavorably to the ones from that genre's prime. I might sell it on Amazon at some point, since the physical release is fairly rare. Maybe someone else would appreciate it.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
I began playing this right after finishing the first Golden Sun game. I was enjoying it and then hit a crash that made me lose about 2 hours of progress. In frustration, I put it down and played other games. I'll probably go back to this at some point. I was playing on an emulator so I can't really fault the game for the crash.

Sword of Mana (GBA)
I was actually enjoying this game, but I ended up fizzling out after 4 hours or so. I think it just got overshadowed by other games. I'll go back to it at some point.

The Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
I tried playing this for RPG club. I gave it a bit over 6 hours, but it never grabbed me. The plot was fairly basic/boring, the load times were really long (I think I counted 9 seconds after each battle, just waiting) and battle was incredibly slow. Then after getting introduced to the Dragoon mechanic, I learned it was basically just a limit break. Bah.

Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Played this for about 8 hours and then fizzled out. It wasn't that bad of a game, I just lost interest.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 pm

merph518 wrote:My dropped games this year:

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
I didn't play this one all that much. I had other games I was more invested in at the time, and the hour or so I spent on it wasn't particularly engaging. I sent the game back to GameFly, it was a rental.

Too bad, this was my #1 game of 2014. ;)

Class of Heroes 2G (PS3)
I bought the limited edition physical release of this game. After playing it for about an hour, I regret that decision. It's a first person dungeon crawler, but it feels so basic that it compares unfavorably to the ones from that genre's prime. I might sell it on Amazon at some point, since the physical release is fairly rare. Maybe someone else would appreciate it.

I have the first one in my digital backlog here. I have so many other dungeon crawlers that it hasn't risen to the top of the pile yet.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
I began playing this right after finishing the first Golden Sun game. I was enjoying it and then hit a crash that made me lose about 2 hours of progress. In frustration, I put it down and played other games. I'll probably go back to this at some point. I was playing on an emulator so I can't really fault the game for the crash.

A couple of years ago, I finished every GBA game I owned. I realized that I didn't buy this one though, so I picked it up before getting rid of my GBA. It's currently the very last GBA game I need to finish before I say I'm done with the system. I'm looking forward to it, but first I need to find my GBA again. ;)

The Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
I tried playing this for RPG club. I gave it a bit over 6 hours, but it never grabbed me. The plot was fairly basic/boring, the load times were really long (I think I counted 9 seconds after each battle, just waiting) and battle was incredibly slow. Then after getting introduced to the Dragoon mechanic, I learned it was basically just a limit break. Bah.

I don't blame you one bit. Talk about a deathmarch. Hah!

Rogue Galaxy (PS2)
Played this for about 8 hours and then fizzled out. It wasn't that bad of a game, I just lost interest.

I fizzled out on it the first time after about 20 hours. I let it rest for awhile and went back, and really enjoyed it the second time around. I didn't understand it the first time around I guess, and the experience I had after it in how battle systems and rpgs were constructed let me understand it better and get more enjoyment from it. Or maybe I've just gotten more tolerant of that style of game since then. ;)
Kazriko

Postby Weidleface » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:42 pm

merph518 wrote:My dropped games this year:

Super Smash Bros. (3DS)
I played a few matches and then sent this rental back. I was bummed that they nixed the adventure mode from Smash. That was primarily what I played in past games.

:(

Please tell me you at least still have the vastly superior Wii U version.
Weidleface

Postby merph518 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:07 pm

Weidleface wrote:Please tell me you at least still have the vastly superior Wii U version.

I've not been able to justify buying a Wii U yet. Maybe if/when the price goes down. I'm kind of hoping they announce the NX with backwards compatibility with the Wii U and then I'd just buy that instead.

merph518

Postby merph518 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Kazriko wrote:
merph518 wrote:Class of Heroes 2G (PS3)

I have the first one in my digital backlog here. I have so many other dungeon crawlers that it hasn't risen to the top of the pile yet.

I was able to sell this on Amazon for $75. Not bad, considering I paid $50 for it.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:35 am

merph518 wrote:I was able to sell this on Amazon for $75. Not bad, considering I paid $50 for it.

I guess that's the downside to buying digitally. :p

But I think I paid less for it. $6.25.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 am

And that's curtains on Amalur. Went into a dungeon with some dude I don't care about to retrieve some fantasy item they literally made up on the spot in the cave to justify this BS. Rolled through slaughtering dudes and then stepped on, I don't even know, a mine? Boom. Game over from full freaking health. "Reload Last Save?" <Game Deleted>
nate

Postby merph518 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 am

More games have been dropped.

Folklore (PS3): I wanted to enjoy this but I got really tired of how repetitive it was once I realized you had to do each chapter twice. I don't have time for that shit.

Lost Dimension (Vita): The game was decent, but I didn't find myself having an urge to return to it even when I had free time. I sent it back to GameFly, maybe I'll pick it up for cheap when they put copies up for sale.

merph518

Postby nate » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:17 pm

PokePark 2- The best thing about this game are its adorable loading screens. Oh well, it was Sarah's game anyway, so nothing lost on giving it a shot. It is improved over the first, but having already gone through the first, I have no desire to repeat the venture.
nate

Postby TSL » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 pm

Star Ocean Till The End of Time
I just can't The protracted dungeons and field areas that are just over-crowded with enemy encounters. That horribly zoomed-in camera angle. It just feels like work. Sad too because the soundtrack may be one of the best in all video games. But, I'm not having fun. And even the story is so cliched and cheese that I don't care to see what happens next.

I'm reminded that there was a reason SO3 was the black sheep of my favorite series of JRPGs. It's just wrong on so many levels.
TSL

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming