Anyone else getting Mario Maker?

Moderator: nate

Anyone else getting Mario Maker?

Postby nate » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:20 am

I'm probably heading out later today to pick it up. I was a big fan of the LittleBigPlanet games and this looks to have a more user friendly design suite and has some really cool social features. Anyone else playing?
nate

Re: Anyone else getting Mario Maker?

Postby merph518 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:28 am

I don't own a Wii U, but the game is high on my list to buy once I get the console (or the Nx if it is backwards compatible).

merph518

Postby Weidleface » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Picked it up earlier today. I'm not sure how much actual level building I'll wind up doing, but I'm super interested in seeing what other people create. And I don't even like Mario that much. :lol:
Weidleface

Postby nate » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Couple of things that need to be fixed:

1. It's WAY too difficult to search users and find your friends on here.
2. There need to be continue flags in the levels, especially as coins and 1-Ups have absolutely 0 purpose.

Also, I would be SO into an expansion that opens up other side scrolling Nintendo platformers and adds them in: Kirby, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, etc.
nate

Postby nate » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Here's my course ID: B426-0000-0023-90EF

It's a little basic because I still only have the original tools suite. I'm not sure when the others will unlock. By next day is it next calendar day or 24 hours?

If you favorite me as a creator with the little heart icon then you can just see my new courses from there without having to enter each ID. There REALLY needs to be a way to just search by creators instead of this obtuse roundabout way.
nate

Postby nate » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm going to be perfectly honest: This game is definitely stacked towards people who already had levels. They've already got tons of stars so people just play their levels over and over and new creators have no chance to reach that level. Also, my levels are cool, but not getting stars, but I think part of it is because people are struggling with them. Each one gets progressively cooler, though. I just finished my third today (which, ironically, is named fourth and my fourth will be called third just because those names worked better with those unlockables). I'm definitely having more fun making levels than playing them because, frankly, most of these levels suck despite having tons of stars and plays. #StillBitter :lol:

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Playing 100 Mario Challenge on Normal will make you want to kill yourself. Everyone sucks SO BAD at designing levels. It's absolutely insane. I've played maybe 50 levels between Easy and Normal and not starred a single one. Blech. Thank God I enjoy designing levels because playing them is a total bust.
nate

Postby nate » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm

I've got 5 levels up so far. I'm pretty proud of numbers 2-5 (not that 1 is bad, just that it lacks the polish of the other 4), but my underwater and ghost levels are my favorites. Also, apparently some of my levels are damned hard (particularly my castle one that has a 3.5% clear rate). Sarah's are all easy and we've learned easier levels = more stars. :lol:
nate

Postby Weidleface » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 am

I've played some really great levels, some that resemble an actual Mario level and other that are crazy experiments in game physics. I've also played some really, really BAD levels. I'm not good at Mario games, but some of these levels have absolutely no sense of direction and appear to have been created in the most abstract and confusing way possible. They're especially infuriating in the context of the 100 Mario challenge, after you've beat other levels that are actually good.

In terms of level creation, I haven't played around a whole lot yet. Part of me wants to try and recreate something like a Mega Man level and see how it turns out.
Weidleface

Postby nate » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah, I tend to design traditional Mario levels over throw everything on the screen and see what happens.
nate

Return to Gaming