What sharp eyed owls are playing these games?!

Moderator: nate

What sharp eyed owls are playing these games?!

Postby nate » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

I swear to God, I'm so tired of not being able to see the freaking text in goddamned games. I had to play Dragon Age: Inquisition sitting on top of the TV to read anything and I started up Costume Quest 2 for Halloween and only made it 15 minutes or so before getting fed up at having to squint at the damned text and turning it off. I have a 32 inch TV, that should be bloody well big enough!

By this time next year, it'll legitimately surprise me if I'm playing games at all any more. Even the "fun" or "light hearted" ones are pissing me off. Between writing full time and taking care of a child, I have literally one hour per day and when it comes down to squinting at unreadable text and playing drawn out bullshit versus reading, video games are going to lose every time. At this point, I think I'm just going to finish out the games I already own and hang it up, only playing the occasional new Nintendo release.
nate

Re: What sharp eyed owls are playing these games?!

Postby Kazriko » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Maybe most people are playing on 40+ inch TVs? Personally, I play on a 23 inch screen, but I sit just a couple of feet from it. Maybe PlaystationVR will have better tuned text sizes?

Reading is good. I really want to do more of that. Maybe you should take a break for a few months to a year and then come back and play the games you already own? Maybe when the kid is a little bit older.
Kazriko

Postby Doomer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:19 am

Is the TV 720P or 1080P? Some games have really bad fonts at 720P.
Doomer

Postby nate » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:40 am

720. If I'm not mistaken, though, don't you literally have to be sitting inches from a 32 inch TV to tell any difference between 720 and 1080?
nate

Postby merph518 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:40 am

Text is abnormally small in games these days, I agree.

It doesn't bother me as I sit about 2-3 feet from a 46" screen (have an HDTV set up as a computer monitor at my desk), but when I try to play PS4 games via PSTV downstairs on our 32" I can't read anything.

merph518

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I understand where you are coming from. My eyesight has degraded over the years but it was around 5 years ago that I had to get glasses because I reached my breaking point of being able to see on the tv while gaming. I haven't had an issue with dragon age inquisition - but I generally just listen to voice than anything now. I remember I had a very strong annoyance with a lot of text being small was Infinite Undiscovery. The other one would be Final Fantasy ARR during beta phase - but playing it on standard was awful at the time.
Hopefully it gets better for you!
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby Uncle Boom » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:22 pm

I played on 720 for a long time, after becoming used to 1080 I can really see the difference. I usually play very close to my screen, on xbox360 I had a 19"-22" I carried with the box inside of a backpack. I would set it up and play wherever I was. Now I play on a laptop at 1080, its so good for many of my games that I don't get eyestrain anymore!
I've never worn glasses, but it was very hard to come back to speed reading 12pt font after 4 months of walking through the woods, I feel your pain! I feel the same way about movies, I am SICK of turning it up to hear dialog and being BLASTED by the effects or music... I don't understand it, and consequently I don't watch anything but documentaries and such, movies are way too annoying! ... Hang in there though, there will be games worth the trouble... Maybe a wireless/wired headset? then you might be able to hear the audio better? Good Luck!
I can't log in anymore (?) ...But this is my TA/XBL Account from years ago!
http://www.trueachievements.com/CaptainOvaltine.htm
Image GoW2 Lvl 100 Image GoW2 Serious2.0 / All Achievements!
Uncle Boom

Postby Ocyd » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Your tv is just out-dated. It just happens. They are already trying to move on to 4X hyper ultra HD now or something. The other stuff yeah I've heard that's what life does to you. you could've gotten a 1080p 40in Samsung for a little over 200 a couple weeks ago if that was really the issue.
Ocyd

Return to Gaming