Most atrocious game you've played recently?

Moderator: nate

Most atrocious game you've played recently?

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:19 pm

I am just curious if anyone has any noteworthy atrocious games that they've tried playing lately?
SoulEaterQUEEN

Re: Most atrocious game you've played recently?

Postby nate » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Wonderful 101. Maybe if I invested dozens of hours really getting to know the battle system, it'd be cool. But after an hour of fumbling around, I had to call it quits. It may be one of the worst games I've ever played.
nate

Postby Kazriko » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:22 am

SoulEaterQUEEN wrote:I am just curious if anyone has any noteworthy atrocious games that they've tried playing lately?

I think I'm a bit too Polyanna on games. I haven't played many that I consider atrocious. There's some that were disappointments, sure.

Lets go through my list of games I've finished or played this year and see which ones were disappointing.

Sketchcross for Vita. Yeah, this one counts as atrocious. You'd think that you wouldn't be able to screw up Picross style gameplay, but this one managed it. There's puzzles where you can meet all of the criteria, but still not succeed because it judges you based on the picture, not based on the logic of the puzzle. Its interface is also quite bad. You can't do the normal hold and drag block marking, you have to do it the hard way. The screen also doesn't properly scale for the puzzle. Just... Terrible...

Dungeon Bandit wasn't atrocious (another Vita, but PSMobile title) it was just a bit padded and bland. They made you go through variations of the same level 8 times, and only had 8 total levels. 64 retreads through the same content.

Home was a bit of a disappointment. Mainly because it is designed not to have a definitive ending, and does it in a really shoddy way. The choice you make impacts your character's perceptions of things, down to if you didn't pick any weapons up at all, it says that you find a body strangled. If you picked up a gun, or knife, it tells you there's wounds consistent with that. The fact that there's no definitive version of what happened long before you started playing the game and somehow your actions affect the past is a bit annoying.

Never Alone... It's a game that had an interesting concept, but got a bit preachy, and was half-baked in places.

Toren is much the same, a bit half-baked.

2013 Infected Wars isn't an atrocious game, but is definitely a budget title and it shows. I finished it twice though, so it was at least a mildly entertaining thing. It's just a whole lot of the same stuff over and over. Sometimes that's good though.

I've already talked about Legend of the Dragoon, but even it wasn't atrocious. It actually got much better as the game went on. It just had a terribly plodding first couple of chapters.

Haze got severely panned, and lots of people consider it atrocious. I enjoyed it as a bit of campy 2006 weirdness. It's in the same boat as Duke Nukem Forever.

Daylight got panned terribly in the media, with a metacritic score around 50. I quite enjoyed it though as just a "explore the haunted house" sort of game, and the story came around quite well in the end.

So, mostly just 1 atrocious game, lots of decent ones.
Kazriko

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Kazriko wrote:
SoulEaterQUEEN wrote:I am just curious if anyone has any noteworthy atrocious games that they've tried playing lately?

I think I'm a bit too Polyanna on games. I haven't played many that I consider atrocious. There's some that were disappointments, sure.

Lets go through my list of games I've finished or played this year and see which ones were disappointing.

Sketchcross for Vita. Yeah, this one counts as atrocious. You'd think that you wouldn't be able to screw up Picross style gameplay, but this one managed it. There's puzzles where you can meet all of the criteria, but still not succeed because it judges you based on the picture, not based on the logic of the puzzle. Its interface is also quite bad. You can't do the normal hold and drag block marking, you have to do it the hard way. The screen also doesn't properly scale for the puzzle. Just... Terrible...

Dungeon Bandit wasn't atrocious (another Vita, but PSMobile title) it was just a bit padded and bland. They made you go through variations of the same level 8 times, and only had 8 total levels. 64 retreads through the same content.

Home was a bit of a disappointment. Mainly because it is designed not to have a definitive ending, and does it in a really shoddy way. The choice you make impacts your character's perceptions of things, down to if you didn't pick any weapons up at all, it says that you find a body strangled. If you picked up a gun, or knife, it tells you there's wounds consistent with that. The fact that there's no definitive version of what happened long before you started playing the game and somehow your actions affect the past is a bit annoying.

Never Alone... It's a game that had an interesting concept, but got a bit preachy, and was half-baked in places.

Toren is much the same, a bit half-baked.

2013 Infected Wars isn't an atrocious game, but is definitely a budget title and it shows. I finished it twice though, so it was at least a mildly entertaining thing. It's just a whole lot of the same stuff over and over. Sometimes that's good though.

I've already talked about Legend of the Dragoon, but even it wasn't atrocious. It actually got much better as the game went on. It just had a terribly plodding first couple of chapters.

Haze got severely panned, and lots of people consider it atrocious. I enjoyed it as a bit of campy 2006 weirdness. It's in the same boat as Duke Nukem Forever.

Daylight got panned terribly in the media, with a metacritic score around 50. I quite enjoyed it though as just a "explore the haunted house" sort of game, and the story came around quite well in the end.

So, mostly just 1 atrocious game, lots of decent ones.

I am a bit on the Polyanna side too I suppose. I think a lot of games just depends on what I expected, and it had exceeded or failed.
I think you and I were ones who actually didn't severely dislike Time and Eternity (I still need to finish though).

But as for games that left a bad taste here are some ones:

Last Remnant when I played it on the Xbox 360. I feel this is more of a technical issue than anything, a lot of lag and freezing issues when I played it. It was just unplayable, that I lost focused on the actual game play elements. I sort of wish this would be sorted out one day. I don't play a lot of RTS, but I feel like if I would be more patient that I'd appreciate it more. The older and more intellectual hungry I get, the more I am appreciating strategy games.

Thousand Arms I turned this game off within the first hour. The battle system really just didn't sit well with me. I felt like I was playing some arcade joke game. I might give this one another shot since I only gave it one hour - not sure if it's just the game design, the main character, or just the play value that bothered me, but it did.

Unlimited Saga I bought this game for the trailer of X-2 at the time (I was a kid who was very excited about X-2, Yuna was like my idol). But I expected some RPG elements from this game, it turned out this game was like playing a board game. If I wanted to play a board game, I'd do it with real people, and with a physical board game. It just didn't appeal to me at all.

Those the ones that come to mind right now.
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby Kazriko » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:16 pm

SoulEaterQUEEN wrote:I am a bit on the Polyanna side too I suppose. I think a lot of games just depends on what I expected, and it had exceeded or failed.
I think you and I were ones who actually didn't severely dislike Time and Eternity (I still need to finish though).

But as for games that left a bad taste here are some ones:

Last Remnant when I played it on the Xbox 360. I feel this is more of a technical issue than anything, a lot of lag and freezing issues when I played it. It was just unplayable, that I lost focused on the actual game play elements. I sort of wish this would be sorted out one day. I don't play a lot of RTS, but I feel like if I would be more patient that I'd appreciate it more. The older and more intellectual hungry I get, the more I am appreciating strategy games.

Thousand Arms I turned this game off within the first hour. The battle system really just didn't sit well with me. I felt like I was playing some arcade joke game. I might give this one another shot since I only gave it one hour - not sure if it's just the game design, the main character, or just the play value that bothered me, but it did.

Unlimited Saga I bought this game for the trailer of X-2 at the time (I was a kid who was very excited about X-2, Yuna was like my idol). But I expected some RPG elements from this game, it turned out this game was like playing a board game. If I wanted to play a board game, I'd do it with real people, and with a physical board game. It just didn't appeal to me at all.

Those the ones that come to mind right now.

Time and Eternity met my expectations. Granted, my expectations weren't particularly high for it. It turned out to be something that was OK, but not great, and had a bit annoying storyline and characters.

Unlimited SaGa was a disappointment for me too, but I had played 3 SaGa games before that with mixed results, so I knew what I was getting into. I still like SaGa Frontier and Romancing SaGa, but dislike SaGa Frontier 2.

I haven't played Thousand Arms or Last Remnant though.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:55 pm

I LOATHED Unlimited Saga. LOATHED it. It might be my all time most hated game. It's also why I'm not going anywhere near the Legend of Legacy.
nate

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:02 pm

I've actually never played any SaGa games. I was too scarred from Unlimited Saga to even try the other ones. I heard that they weren't bad games though.

As for Legend of Legacy, I think that's my biggest concern is the Saga ties to it. To me it really reminded me of the 4 Heroes of Light on the DS (I enjoyed that one) but with less of a JRPG formula, but certainly don't want any cheap Unlimited Saga gameplay happening in this one.
I will probably only ever play when there is a big price cut.

*sigh* I miss local rental shops - I don't do the whole online-shipping thing (heard horror stories) but I do reside in Canada.
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby Weidleface » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:37 pm

nate wrote:I LOATHED Unlimited Saga. LOATHED it. It might be my all time most hated game. It's also why I'm not going anywhere near the Legend of Legacy.

It's refreshing to get some validation on this opinion.I've said for a while that this was probably the worst game I've ever played. I've never really seen anyone else talk about it, though. I was beginning to wonder if I had just exaggerated how bad the game actually was or if everyone else had just wiped the game from memory. :lol:
Weidleface

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Weidleface wrote:
nate wrote:I LOATHED Unlimited Saga. LOATHED it. It might be my all time most hated game. It's also why I'm not going anywhere near the Legend of Legacy.

It's refreshing to get some validation on this opinion.I've said for a while that this was probably the worst game I've ever played. I've never really seen anyone else talk about it, though. I was beginning to wonder if I had just exaggerated how bad the game actually was or if everyone else had just wiped the game from memory. :lol:

That's actually funny, I know what you mean -- you just don't hear people talk about it. I think people might be ashamed since it is a Square Enix game, and back then, Square Enix was not THAT bad.
I have to say though that as a kid, I tolerated a lot of crappy games because I wasn't experienced enough, and even then I found a quirk that made the game memorable. This one was just horrible. I would literally only put my disc in to watch the trailer for Final Fantasy X-2. (back then we had dial up internet).
SoulEaterQUEEN

Return to Gaming