PS4 rpgs Where to start?

Moderator: nate

PS4 rpgs Where to start?

Postby Ocyd » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Since I got my ps4 for it's been pretty much nothing but Minecraft since I had to start from scratch and get re-situated. I found most of what I need except for the end portal but that can wait for a while since I'm not in a rush to kill the dragon, crap, unless I need to do it before they update that dimension. Anyway after I make some signs reminding me what I was doing for when I go back. Seems like a good place to start a new game for a change of pace. Currently I have, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and FF Type0. The question is where would be the best place to start? Since it seems like all of them will take a bit of time to get through.

I downloaded Witcher over the course of like two days (I don't care what they say about the future and digital distribution. It ain't coming here) So if I finish that first I can reclaim the hard drive space it's using.

Everybody's playing Fallout 4 now, but it's not like it'll hurt to wait while they are patching bugs

I'm sort of leaning towards type 0 since it's been a while (FF12?) since I played a final fantasy game, then again..
Ocyd

Re: PS4 rpgs Where to start?

Postby Kazriko » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:09 pm

FF Type 0 is a bit unusual, not a typical JRPG sort of game. We're doing Fallout 4 for the game club now. I don't know much about witcher 3 myself since I haven't bought it yet.

The RPGs that I've played the most of on PS4 are Citizens of Earth, Fallout 4, Final Fantasy 14, Disgaea 5, Child of Light, and Borderlands Presequel, of all things. I have others but haven't spent enough time with them to evaluate them. All of those are pretty good though.

Also give the Indivisible Prototype a try, if you ever liked Valkyre Profile. You also might try Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae, since you have Type 0.
Kazriko

Postby Ocyd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:39 am

Heheheh he said duscae. I was thinking about picking up Disgaea 5 but I'm not pulling the trigger on another one of those till I have a lot of time I need to kill without reservation. I never did get around to picking up 4 either for the same reason. Getting that last pirate ship to show up for the platinum for 3 was pretty brutal. I didn't play it for months because of it, before deciding to finish it up.

Starting Fallout tonight
Ocyd

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:53 pm

So games you don't have, incase you aren't into the ones you do have:
It really depends on what you like. But if you never played any of the other Dragon Age games, I don't really recommend Inquistion, but it is still okay to play that game without the playing the others -- just not really as enjoyable though.

If you like a bit of a JRPG flavour, there is Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment -- I enjoyed that one a fair bit for it's online mode. I am not really a fan of the story though, pretty mediocre and fan-servicey. Another one that is making popular appearances is Tales of Zestiria, I heard it is decent but not the best Tales game out there though. I haven't played this one myself though.

Then we have Bloodborne -- if you like Dark Souls kind of games, this is a welcoming surprise -- not too long of a game either.

BUT for the games you do have, I heard that Fallout 4 is a bit buggy, but the game is pretty good overall. I have yet to play this one myself. Witcher 3 won game of the year, and I heard they eliminated the fetch quests, so I think that might be a great one to look at as well. I also agree with maybe saving Type 0 for last. It's a good game, but a bit weird. One thing that irritated me a bit while doing a playthrough was that in order to complete the game it requires multiple playthroughs -- I am not one for repetitious play to be honest.

Happy gaming~
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby Kazriko » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Ocyd wrote:Heheheh he said duscae. I was thinking about picking up Disgaea 5 but I'm not pulling the trigger on another one of those till I have a lot of time I need to kill without reservation. I never did get around to picking up 4 either for the same reason. Getting that last pirate ship to show up for the platinum for 3 was pretty brutal. I didn't play it for months because of it, before deciding to finish it up.

Starting Fallout tonight

I don't even bother with the platinum trophies in Disgaea games. I'm ready to move on long before I reach that point. Though, I've gotten the furthest with Disgaea 4. IIRC, I think I finished the land of carnage in it.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Dude, I just play story mode in Disgaea games. I don't do any of that extra stuff. :lol:
nate

Postby TSL » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Witcher 3 is the best RPG I've played on PS4. I've heard the Tales games are good, but haven't played them. I really want to play Bloodborne and SAO, though.
TSL

Postby Kazriko » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:56 pm

nate wrote:Dude, I just play story mode in Disgaea games. I don't do any of that extra stuff. :lol:

That's what I did with Disgaea 2. It only took me 30 hours to beat the storyline and I haven't felt like going back.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Disgaea 2 was my first Disgaea and I tried to get into reincarnation and all that other stuff and just ended up confused and overwhelmed. I had SO much more fun just playing the story straight without messing with any of the extras in Disgaea 3.
nate

Postby Kazriko » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:00 pm

nate wrote:Disgaea 2 was my first Disgaea and I tried to get into reincarnation and all that other stuff and just ended up confused and overwhelmed. I had SO much more fun just playing the story straight without messing with any of the extras in Disgaea 3.

I got up to around level 80 in Disgaea 1, barely did any extra content in that one. I might go back sometime later though. Disgaea 2 was pure storyline only, I tried to play Axel's story too, but it ramped up too quickly and I gave up. Disgaea 3 I did the story, and all of the extra DLC stories, and barely any content past that. So really, the only one that I've tried to do everything on was Disgaea 4, and I didn't even succeed there, quit because of the first incarnation of Baal I encountered. Not quite done with Disgaea D2 or Disgaea 5 yet.
Kazriko

Return to Gaming