Games Completed, 2016

Moderator: nate

Re: Games Completed, 2016

Postby Kazriko » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:39 am

#1 Feb/#9 2016, Trails in the Sky SC. Such a good game, but SO LONG. I'm glad I didn't go and grind much because any longer and it'd drive me batty. 69:20 to finish. I suppose it didn't help that I played 31 hours of Trails FC right before playing SC.
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:04 am

07 - 01/18/2016 - The Talos Principle - PS4 - 12.75 hours
I really liked this game. The puzzles had a very portal-like quality and some of them were quite obtuse. It was interesting to see so much philosophy type stuff in a game as well -- definitely not something that's the norm.

08 - 01/30/2016 - Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky SC - PC - 73 hours
This was one of the RPG Club entries for January. I liked the game quite a bit despite an unbelievable amount of area/dungeon reuse. You didn't really get any new areas to explore until the final chapters of the game! Great story though. Hopefully TC will be translated, though I'm not going to hold my breath.

merph518

Postby merph518 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:31 am

09 – 02/09/2016 – Call of Duty: Black Ops III – PS4 – 10 hours
This game had been sitting on my desk for about a month, waiting for me to play it. I finally got around to it this week and I shouldn't have waited so long -- it was pretty great. At first it seemed like it was copying Advanced Warfare's plot, but it didn't. The story this time around was really interesting and more than I expected out of a CoD game. Ben Browder (Farscape, Stargate SG-1) did the voice work for the main character and it was great. I'd strongly recommend playing the game, if only for the campaign like I did.

10 – 02/10/2016 – Firewatch – PS4 – 3.75 hours
This was an interesting experience. There were a lot of little stutters as the game press have pointed out, but that didn't bug me too much. I'm more forgiving than the average PS4 gamer I guess. Gameplay was fairly simple and a little repetitive, but it was the story/characters that made the game shine. The banter between the main character and his boss was great and felt very believable. That said, it was a little disappointing as well -- namely the length (I had read reviewers saying it was about 5 hours long but it took me less than 4) and the ending was a bit of a let down.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 am

#2 Feb/#10 2016: The Talos Principle. Quite the interesting game, touches on some of the same stuff as Soma. The time puzzles were quite difficult. I still haven't done all of the star puzzles, but I did finish the first two endings.

merph518 wrote:10 – 02/10/2016 – Firewatch – PS4 – 3.75 hours
This was an interesting experience. There were a lot of little stutters as the game press have pointed out, but that didn't bug me too much. I'm more forgiving than the average PS4 gamer I guess. Gameplay was fairly simple and a little repetitive, but it was the story/characters that made the game shine. The banter between the main character and his boss was great and felt very believable. That said, it was a little disappointing as well -- namely the length (I had read reviewers saying it was about 5 hours long but it took me less than 4) and the ending was a bit of a let down.

#3 Feb/#11 2016: Firewatch

It took me about 4 hours to beat it here, and I meandered quite a bit. I bet I could stretch it a bit.

I wasn't let down by the ending at all... To me, the game completely earned that ending. Every bit of it was telegraphed, then hidden by the hysterics of the characters. I looked at the equipment at that site and thought "Oh, this looks like a weather station. Wonder why there's a weather station in the sinister bad guy's camp." It restored my faith in the developers that they would go with the mundane ending over the conspiracy theory ending. Perfect scooby doo plotline. Of course, a lot of people don't like the mundane as much. Probably why Golden Abyss is the least popular uncharted game, despite being very good. It didn't have any of the supernatural stuff that the other games had.

#4 Feb/#12 2016: The Witness. This one, on the other hand, was much shorter than I thought it would be. I heard 30-60 hours, I can't imagine it took me more than 20. Might have even only been about 16. I only started working on it on last monday, and finished it this monday. I also skipped at least 3 of the days during this week. (Wednesday, friday, saturday) I only played 3-4 hours each night.

In any case, it's very interesting how it teaches you everything without actually saying anything. There were a few times when the rules were unclear though, so I ended up going to a guide just to clarify what I was supposed to learn from that bit. (Turns out that when I thought I eliminated that rule as being the one, I had just misinterpreted it.) I also used a guide for the bamboo forest, because my hearing is rather awful. I'm not 100% done, but the silly thing did reset all my progress when I finished it, so if I want to do the extra puzzles, it'll be a lot more work.

It also shows just how much ingenuity you can fit into panel puzzles...
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm

11 – 02/11/2016 – Minecraft Story Mode Ep 4: A Block and a Hard Place – PS4 – 2 hours
I was surprised to learn that this episode came out back in December and that I'd never caught wind. Downloaded it as soon as I noticed it and played through it the following evening. It was a pretty good episode compared to some of the previous ones -- had a decent story and it wrapped up the story arc from the first three eps. Apparently the last episode will introduce a new arc that will continue into season 2.

12 – 02/11/2016 – Call of Duty 3 – PS3 – 8 hours
Going from Black Ops 3 on PS4 to the earliest CoD game on PS3 was quite a jump... but it was far from a difficult transition. The XIM4 worked perfectly with no issues on my PS3, which was great to see. It was also my first FPS set in WWII, so I found the setting interesting. It kept jumping around from faction to faction though, I had a hard time keeping up with what side I was playing as the story progressed. Fun experience though.

13 – 02/13/2016 – Disney Infinity 3.0: Toybox Takeover – PS4 – 6 hours
I play Disney Infinity with my 2 year old. She loves playing with, placing and replacing the characters on the USB tray thingy. Managed to finish up the first "Toybox expansion" game that we had during one of our sessions. Not that great, but playing with her was enjoyable.

14 – 02/16/2016 – Final Fantasy XIV: Dreams of Ice (2.4 Patch) – PS4 – 43.25 hours
So after a year away, I was drawn back into FF14. I've told myself that I'll just play casually, catch up on story and perhaps take another break after I get to the end of the line. I'm not planning on grinding for the best armor/weapons at endgame... and I'm hoping I can hold myself to that. I found that a friend on Backloggery had listed patch content as "Games" in terms of tracking on there, so I copied her and did the same. Patch 2.4 was where I left off -- I leveled Ninja from 30-50 and then finished all of the story quests, side quests and dungeons that came out in 2.4 before moving on. The bulk of my 43 hours here was spent on leveling.

15 – 02/21/2016 – Final Fantasy XIV: Before the Fall (2.5 Patch) – PS4 – 14.75 hours
2.5 was the last patch before the expansion. It had a LOT of story to get through but not a ton else. A few dungeons, a trial (Odin) and a few side questlines and I was finished in less than 15 hours. I didn't expect it to go that quickly. Really enjoying the game, taking time away has rejuvenated my interest in it.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:10 am

#5 Feb/#13 2016: Sly 3. Enjoyed the ending. Didn't really like how mini-game heavy it was. Though, that was mostly because of the new characters they added. Actually really liked the new characters, aside from the silly car racing, helicopter grabbing diving, etc minigames.

Replay? No, one-and-a-half times is enough.
Platinum? Maybe. Like Jak and Daxter, I need to let this one sit for awhile before I go back and try to max it out. Doing the challenges is what burned me out on in the first time on PS3.
Kazriko

Postby Doomer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:34 pm

#5: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. 57 hours Played through the new PC version that came out last month. No more letterboxing, no more input lag from the low framerate, and lightning fast load times (not that the console versions had slow load times, but its definitely faster). The game has cool ideas, but it is ultimately a very flawed game. There's lot of reused areas in the post-game and the expansion, and the expansion has some pretty obnoxious damage scaling by the end. Apparently Level 68 is too low to defeat the final boss of the expansion, my pawns just kept running from him. I don't really feel like going through the whole place again to level up.
Doomer

Postby merph518 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

16 - 03/01/2016 - Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (3.0 Expansion) - PS4 - 51.25 hours
Played through to the end of the main story line and all of the sidequests available until that point. Mained Ninja and have been having a lot of fun with it (2.x main was Black Mage). Only two more patches to go (technically just one to catch up, as 3.2 is new).

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:51 pm

#1 March/#14 2016, Antichamber. Finally got around to finishing this. Spent a ton of time wandering around with just the Blue gun, but once I found the Green one, the rest of the game just snapped into place and I finished it in a couple of hours.
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:43 pm

17 - 03/05/2016 - Final Fantasy XIV: As Goes Light, So Goes Darkness (3.1 Patch) - PS4 - 19.25 hours
Played through all of the 3.1 content, including the Main Story Questline, new dungeons, trials and the 24 person raid. At this point I'm all caught up in terms of progression, as the 3.2 patch is new and everyone is currently working their way through it.

Been having a great time coming back to FF14 after so long away. Now that I've hit max level and am relatively geared up (ilvl 207 on Ninja currently), I'm going to back off a bit and start playing other games again. I'm still likely going to putter around ingame a bit, capping my weekly Tomestones and leveling crafting classes, but not letting it devour all of my free time anymore.

merph518

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming