Games Completed, 2016

Moderator: nate

Re: Games Completed, 2016

Postby rwburnham » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28 am

Knights of the Old Republic II (PC) - Thanks to the new Steam version and the Restored Content mod, I was able to finish this game with barely any technical problems. I played as a female light side Jedi Guardian/Jedi Watchman, although I wish I had picked Jedi Weapon Master as my advanced class. My choice of classes made for an odd character with abilities that were spread too thin. Plus, the Watchman seems geared towards stealth, and I rarely found any use for stealth in this game. The plot makes more sense with the restored content, but I am still bummed that we never saw KOTOR 3.
rwburnham

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:44 am

18 – 03/12/2016 – The Walking Dead: Michonne – Episode 1: Deep – PS4 – 1.5 hours
The best I've seen from Telltale in quite some time. I was actually pretty impressed with this miniseries, despite not being hyped enough to buy it on day 1. They've improved how the combat sequences are rendered (ui improvements to quick time events) and made them a bit more action-y as seems befitting the new main character, Michonne. The story's pretty decent so far, too.

I liked Tales From the Borderlands, Game of Thrones and Minecraft: Story Mode, but it felt good to get back to a Walking Dead game. Here's hoping the next two episodes are as good as this one and that it'll be followed up by a Season 3 soon.

merph518

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:05 pm

19 - 03/18/2016 - Far Cry Primal - PS4 - 23 hours
I held onto this game for a month or so while I was hooked on Final Fantasy XIV and in catch-up mode doing all of the new content and leveling to 60. I almost returned it without finishing it since it just kept sitting there looking at me with a pouty face, getting no screen time.

Once I got caught up in FF14 though, I started playing this and got really into it. I played Primal for about a week solid, hunting and taming prehistoric animals, claiming bonfires and outposts and just running around stabbing cavemen in the head with spears. Great fun.

20 - 03/19/2016 - Final Fantasy XIV: The Gears of Change (3.2 Patch) - PC - 53.25 hours
I finally caught up with this game! I took about a year and a half off, so I had a lot of content to get through. Played through the new story quests in patch 3.2... helped the Scions recover some from the events of 2.5 and 3.0. Fought a new primal, Sephirot. Completed some new dungeons. Worked my way through the normal mode of the new raid. Spent a bunch of time helping out the Vath (new beast quests). And more!

I'm going to keep playing this game but at a very casual level. Not going to hold myself to capping the newest tokens for the best armor (outside of raids), since I don't really need it all that much. I'm not going to invest time in the end game... I'd rather level other classes and crafting classes (at least until it stops being fun). My next goal is to get Black Mage to 60, the job is at 56 now.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:44 am

#2 March/#15 2016: Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3) Egads, this game... I was hoping to finish it by the end of February. As just a short distraction so I don't buy Far Cry Primal. (I've decided that every time I get the urge to buy a new Ubisoft game, I should look at the pile of games from them I already have and play one of those instead.) In any case, the. ending to this was pretty good. The missions in chapter 13 and 14 though? Excruciating. I hate that sort of stealth missions. I didn't think this game would take me 4+ weeks to finish. On to Dragon's Dogma!
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 am

It's been a productive week!

21 - 03/23/2016 - The Book of Unwritten Tales - PC - 9 hours
Asked for this game for Christmas assuming I'd like it as much as any other adventure game I've played over the last couple years. Got it from a friend and backlogged it until recently. At the start I didn't like it at all, the game was a chore to play without much reward in the story department -- but in the last two chapters of the game it started to grow on me a bit. Still not super impressed, but I'll probably give the second game a try to see what improvements they've made.

22 - 03/24/2016 - Day of the Tentacle Remastered - PS4 - 3.5 hours
It's a really old game with a fresh coat of paint and it is very noticeable -- but I won't hold that against it. What I WILL hold against the game is the buggy state in which it was released. I played about 75% into the game and the game glitched out and froze. My autosave and my most recent save were corrupted somehow so I lost about an hour and a half of playtime. For a short game, that's pretty frustrating.

I enjoyed the game itself, I just wish Double Fine did a bit more QA before releasing it.

23 - 03/25/2016 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - Wii U - 31.25 hours
I've been playing this at work over lunchbreaks for the past few weeks (plus some extra time here and there after hours). The game was a joy to play and the improvements made to the Wii U version were appreciated (swift sail makes you go faster and auto-changes the wind to always be at your back, you only have to salvage 3 of the 8 Triforce shards, etc).

The cel-shaded style has aged well and looks great in HD. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to play the DS sequels before playing Twilight Princess HD, which I had originally planned to play next.

24 - 03/25/2016 - Republique - Episode 1: Exordium - PS4 - 3.75 hours
25 - 03/25/2016 - Republique - Episode 2: Metamorphosis - PS4 - 1.75 hours
26 - 03/26/2016 - Republique - Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes - PS4 - 3.25 hours
27 - 03/26/2016 - Republique - Episode 4: God's Acre - PS4 - 2.5 hours
28 - 03/27/2016 - Republique - Episode 5: Terminus - PS4 - 2.75 hours

This game was EXCELLENT. I still can't fathom that this was a Kickstarter game that was originally made for Mobile devices. High production values, great story and awesome voice acting (David Hayter and Jennifer Hale). The gameplay is pretty unique - instead of just controlling the character, you're controlling all of the tech around her and aiding her in her escape from a 1984-esque regime. So good, such a surprise. I highly recommend it.

merph518

Postby rwburnham » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am

XCOM 2 (PC) - After quite a struggle I finally beat this game. This is one hell of a tough game, but it’s also very well designed. After being nearly defeated during the mission where my ship had crashed, I managed to slowly build up my forces. Eventually I unlocked the PSI troopers, which gave me the edge I needed. In the first XCOM, PSI abilities were just extra skills for the four classes, but in this game it’s a whole new fifth class called Psi Operative. The final mission to take down the alien's underwater base was actually a two-part mission. Part one involved a small squad of only three people taking over a transmission device, and part two involved tracking down and killing Avatars. I am really impressed with this game. It improved on the original in a lot of ways. I look forward to trying it again once they release some DLC.
rwburnham

Postby merph518 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:33 pm

29 - 03/30/2016 - The Walking Dead: Michonne - Episode 2: Give No Shelter - PS4 - 1.5 hours
Enjoyed this episode more so than the first one. It was a bit more action packed and also had more backstory on Michonne. I won't go further into it because spoiling Telltale stuff is the worst -- seeing how the major feature is the story itself.

30 - 03/30/2016 - Minecraft: Story Mode - Episode 5: Order Up! - PS4 - 2 hours
The final episode was alright, not as good as the last one. This release was a little buggy -- one thing I definitely noticed was that the voice-over did not match the subtitles at all. I found that very distracting. The story was ok, the group had a new adventure for glory and treasure and it ended in a way that made it blatantly obvious a second season was on the way. I'll likely pick up season 2... even though it's not Telltale's best, it's still pretty fun to play.

31 - 04/01/2016 - Epistory: Typing Chronicles - PC - 4 hours
This game was completely off my radar until I read an article featuring it. It just recently came out of Early Access on Steam... it's an action-adventure game plus typing. It doesn't seem anything special from that description, but the gameplay and story feels similar to Bastion except that you type to attack things. It's not just about typing fast, either. I think it's the first time I've ever typed strategically. You had to balance what enemies to attack when, what type of magic (there's four) to use and when. Very neat game, I enjoyed it.

32 - 04/03/2016 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - DS - 23.5 hours
I decided to play the DS followups to Wind Waker after my recent Wind Waker HD playthrough. The first one, Phantom Hourglass was pretty decent. I'm not crazy about the stylus controls (it plays kind of like Diablo except with a stylus movement system instead of clicking to move) but it didn't hamper my enjoyment all that much. In fact, it led to some pretty interesting mechanics and boss fights. My favorite boss was near the end -- a golem so huge that it took both DS screens. You had to launch yourself in the air and smack its many different weak points with a hammer (while midair) to take it down. Spirit Tracks is next, though I might not play it right away.

33 - 04/03/2016 - Deep Space Battle VR - Android - 1.5 hours
I recently bought a Google Cardboard viewer for my phone to check out basic VR in anticipation of purchasing Playstation VR (I preordered). It's pretty simple -- it uses head tracking for you to aim your ship/gun at other ships in a dogfighting style game. What was cool about it was getting drawn into the world, spinning around like a crazy person in my swivel office chair and taking out the ships, looking up, down and all around as they flew about me. If my phone is capable of doing shit like this, I can't wait to see the PSVR in action.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Man, you're so far ahead that I'll never catch up now. Hah.

merph518 wrote:31 - 04/01/2016 - Epistory: Typing Chronicles - PC - 4 hours
This game was completely off my radar until I read an article featuring it. It just recently came out of Early Access on Steam... it's an action-adventure game plus typing. It doesn't seem anything special from that description, but the gameplay and story feels similar to Bastion except that you type to attack things. It's not just about typing fast, either. I think it's the first time I've ever typed strategically. You had to balance what enemies to attack when, what type of magic (there's four) to use and when. Very neat game, I enjoyed it.

So, does typing speed make any difference at all? Interesting idea, though.

#1 April/#16 2016, Tales of Hearts R. 46.5 hours. Random battles, action combat, you wouldn't think I'd enjoy this game, but I did. At least a little bit. The chase combat, the leveling, it had a FF12 style AI control system, the flash guarding thing... The final boss wasn't too difficult either. I might return this later and platinum it. First I need to get about ~3000 points so I can restart with 5x experience gain and other advantages. Of course, I may never actually return to this either.
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Kazriko wrote:Man, you're so far ahead that I'll never catch up now. Hah.

So, does typing speed make any difference at all? Interesting idea, though.

Oh definitely. You don't have to be a whiz or anything, but I'm sure I had an edge as I typically type 80-90 wpm. And it's not a competition ;)

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Mon May 30, 2016 1:23 pm

After almost 2 months, I finally finished a game.

#1 May/#17 2016, Dragon's Dogma. I rolled the credits on this, though it's not really "done" since the story instantly goes to an even worse state for the postgame...

#1 June/#18 2016, Ratchet and Clank. Love this game. I do kind of miss two things though. The Skill points seem to be gone, and the swingshot is of the more modern style where it activates slowly and you can't just chain them together like you could the first time around. Other than that, it's the best looking ratchet game so far, and it's fairly decent. A few missing planets, but decent.

#2 June/#19 2016, Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension. Thankfully, a short game. Finished it mostly in one sitting. I had played 2-3 levels before but ran into controller issues. Basically a ratchet and clank: All for One knockoff, but only 2-player. It's OK, not great.

#3 June/#20 2016, Ys Origins. Been working on this one for ages, just finally decided to push through to the end. Really tough. Played it on Normal difficulty.

#4 June/#21 2016, Armikrog. I backed this on kickstarter ages ago and finally just plowed through it. Pretty cute game. Claymation!
Kazriko

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming