Where Bethesda DLC comes from

Moderator: nate

Where Bethesda DLC comes from

Postby Kazriko » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:30 pm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2664 ... _great.php

The team does multiple game jams during production, says Howard, and mines those ideas for improvements to both the core game and its DLC packages, he says, in a new Game Informer interview:

"Survival mode came out of that. We had talked about doing robot stuff, and there was a bunch of that in there. We do that every game. We do that in the middle of development. So we did that in the middle of Fallout 4. When we finished what we call our vertical slice preproduction build – when you can actually play the game – we do one for a week then. That fuels features for the main game like jetpacks and a number of other things. And we do another at the end, which is focused on mining ideas for DLC. We kind of talk about stuff, but when we start to see it on screen, we say ‘That’s really good. Here are the things we can do. What’s going to be in an update? Hey these fit in a package.’"

So, they do a game jam once they have a vertical slice. That fuels features for the main game. Once they have everything done with the game, they do another game jam, and that forms the DLC for the game.
Kazriko

Re: Where Bethesda DLC comes from

Postby TSL » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Interesting. This seems to explain why their DLC is more congruent with the core game than other games I've played. Even with the Whacky Alien stuff in Fallout 3, I still felt the proper sense of place. The idea that this could happen in this world was never questioned.
TSL

Re: Where Bethesda DLC comes from

Postby Kazriko » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:32 am

TSL wrote:Interesting. This seems to explain why their DLC is more congruent with the core game than other games I've played. Even with the Whacky Alien stuff in Fallout 3, I still felt the proper sense of place. The idea that this could happen in this world was never questioned.

Yeah, It's cool that the developers of the game actually make the DLC in this case. Most of the time, it's some third party developer making most of it. Like Borderlands. The only DLC that I know that Gearbox made was Tiny Tina's, the other DLC was, afaik, all made by third parties, and it often barely fits with the rest of the content.
Kazriko

Return to Gaming