Yo son! It's 2014! Time for MUSIC!

Moderator: nate

Re: Yo son! It's 2014! Time for MUSIC!

Postby goodlucksaturday » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:08 am

Uh. Weezer album is kind of like...shaping up to not be a joke. I mean, I'll defend Hurley and Scott & Rivers and all that, but the stuff they're putting up isn't Hurley and Scott & Rivers.
http://www.stereogum.com/1706680/weezer ... ming/mp3s/
I don't think I realized just how much I missed Weezer until I heard this guitar solo.

Oh yeah, Lonely Girl not too bad either.

ANOTHER WEEK!?!?!?!
goodlucksaturday

Postby Kazriko » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:18 am

Ah Weezer. The Final Fantasy of the music world. They have two different audiences who like different segments of their music and dislike the other segments. :) Good to see them drift back my direction again. Not that their last few albums were bad though, just less of what I enjoy. Of the bands on my main playlist, they're kind of the most likely to get skipped songs.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Kazriko wrote:Ah Weezer. The Final Fantasy of the music world.

That... is a REALLY good comparison. :lol:
nate

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 pm

I didn't realize Pink Floyd was in the getty images stock uplifting music for the end of a bad football movie business.
goodlucksaturday

Postby goodlucksaturday » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:26 am

Weezer album is amazing. It's basically a calculated combination of blue crunch with Pinkerton guitar stuff, but why be mad? It's great. I love that I don't have to justify it because I have an unhealthy need to follow Rivers Cuomo through the ups and downs. It is possible that if Rivers realizes what he's doing, that if his lifelong pursuit of the perfect pop song leads him to the realization that being a combo of blue/pink Rivers Cuomo is what defines him that Weezer could kick off a string of really good records. Maybe? Well, one is good enough for now.

And we don't have a general thread for music? So I'm going to hijack it to talk about seeing mewithoutYou last night in Newport(/Cincinnati). It was a lot of fun. I'd recommend doing so if they come around your area. Does Waddle like mewithoutYou? Maybe I should've invited him? They were touring a 10th anniversary for Catch for Us the Foxes. It was fun, but if they come around for a 10th anniversary of Brother, Sister, I am there. They probably won't do a 10 year for It's All Crazy!, but eh. The opening act Hop Along I've seen twice now and man, they're so awesome. They gonna become one of those "gotta see when they come around" acts that's reserved for Kevin Devine.
goodlucksaturday

Postby Weidleface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Eh, never really took the time to listen to them to be honest. And being that this was Saturday, I wouldn't have been able to go anyway because I was busy at Austin City Limits. 8-)

Was this at the Madison Theatre?
Weidleface

Postby goodlucksaturday » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Southgate House Revival was where it was at. I'm not sure if the Southgate House is still a thing or if they shut it down and picked up shop to the Southgate House Revival, which is a vacant church.
goodlucksaturday

Postby Weidleface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Oh, nice. I love that place. The old one is still around as the Thompson House and still does live music, but I haven't been there since the Southgate House folks packed up.
Weidleface

Postby goodlucksaturday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Got the new MONO records. Number 746 of 1000. :o

I really like The Last Dawn, first song's a bit sluggish, but hits a good stride with "Kanata." But I'm kind of not getting what they're doing with Rays of Darkness though. "Recoil, Ignite" is fantastic, but the rest of the songs don't really go anywhere.
goodlucksaturday

Postby goodlucksaturday » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Okay, yeah, The Last Dawn is fantastic. And yeah, Rays of Darkness is not. Last Dawn is about 50 minutes in length, but Rays of Darkness is just under 29 minutes when you take away the final track, which is just 6 minutes of drone-y feedback. Not really sure I get what they were trying to accomplish with two separate albums, but it's like they didn't think they had room for "Recoil, Ignite" on The Last Dawn and just threw some stuff together for Rays of Darkness.

I dunno, we'll see upon more listens, but really pleased with The Last Dawn; nice rebound from For My Parents.
goodlucksaturday

PreviousNext

Return to Music