2015! Up and AWAY!

Moderator: nate

Re: 2015! Up and AWAY!

Postby nate » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9luRtEqjc

This is the best song coming out this year. I've been too the future. They don't top this right here. 8-)
nate

Postby nate » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 am

I really, really like this Death Cab album. It doesn't try to do too much and so it really hits a lot of the simple songwriting that makes this band great. It was a definite grower, though, since the first few times I heard it it was pure background music.

Know what album has surprised me with its legs? Damnwells. I think I've listened to it more times than any other this year by a long shot.
nate

Postby goodlucksaturday » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Death Cab is really good. I'm surprised how much I've gone to it. Should probably listen to Damnwells, haha. Still need to give the new Mew and Built to Spill records a listen. Also need to go back to the new Envy record. The vocalist's voice really took a dive since their last album, so it was pretty jarring listening to the first couple of songs.

Ten Stories was such a dull misstep for mewithoutYou; felt like they were forced to conform to a Catch For Us the Foxes style, but it didn't have much about it that was interesting (though Bear's Vision of St. Agnes is a great song), but they've really bounced back in that style with their new record. Excellent stuff.

Brandon Flowers record underwhelming. Nate Ruess record not a whole lot better, but at least has a few extra highlights.
goodlucksaturday

Postby nate » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am

Dopamine may not be the best album of the year by a long shot, but it very well may be my favorite. It's all the things you loved about Third Eye Blind condensed into 2015 goodness. There are no boundaries pushed. All the old trappings are here from the ridiculous lyrics to the various Stephen Jenkins singing styles. I love it so. :D

Sidenote: It is amazing how much more time I spend listening to music when I'm not at work. I have music on constantly all day. It's like being in college again. :lol:
nate

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 pm

First half of the Damnwells record is excellent. Gets a bit touch and go in the second half, but I don't outright dislike anything. Thanks for giving the head's up, nate. :D
goodlucksaturday

Postby nate » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Random updating:

Wilco "Star Wars"- Excellent record that grows on you just like all the others. It's much shorter than the others and obviously comes from extended jam sessions (you can hear how the songs share common roots at multiple points) which gives it an interesting feel. It's been called an "experimental" record, which makes ZERO sense to me because outside of the noise rock intro, it's less experimental than most of their catalogue.

Tallest Man on Earth "Dark Bird is Home"- Some incredible tracks on this one. It's far more produced than I expected having come from "The Wild Hunt" but the songwriting is solid. There's some genre pushing stuff on here, too, that was a pleasant surprise.

Jamie XX "In Colour"- I feel like you know whether or not you'll like this one or not without even listening based solely off how you feel about The XX and British dance music. I'm a big fan, but I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone. Loud Places is still the best song to come out this year, no question.
nate

Postby Weidleface » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:54 pm

I've only listened to it once or twice, but I really like The Weeknd's new album. It's explicit as hell, but my god that man can produce. It also helps that his voice is smooth like butter. "Often" was one of my favorite songs from last year, and for the most part the whole album delivers on the same level.
Weidleface

Postby Kazriko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm

It's not my usual kind of music, but I threw Five Finger Death Punch - Got Your Six on my trial list, and really enjoyed it...

Then I put their entire back catalog on shuffle, and I enjoy pretty much everything they've done. Weird.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Of Monsters And Men- It's very okay. It's not as good as the first, but nothing on it sticks out as bad either. The end is significantly better than the beginning, though. Thousand Eyes/ I Of the Storm is a helluva combo.

Brandon Flowers- Fun, silly, very Bruce Springsteen inspired still. Glam-Springsteen. That shoulda been the name of the album. :lol:

Muse- Skipped the last one because I didn't like the singles. This one wasn't really worth picking up either. This band really hasn't been very good in a long while... :(
nate

Postby Weidleface » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Do yourselves a favor and check out the new CHVRCHES album if you haven't already. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it more than The Bones of What You Believe, but it's damn good.

Here's "Leave a Trace," the first single off the album.
Weidleface

PreviousNext

Return to Music