You can only listen to one artist for the rest of your life

Moderator: nate

You can only listen to one artist for the rest of your life

Postby nate » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Who do you pick? And just for argument's sake, I'm going to say you get their associated projects, too. So, for example, if you pick Clapton, I'm counting that as solo, Derek and the Dominoes, Cream, etc.

As I thought about it, I noticed I was hitting 3 major issues:

1. Artists with a wide body of music, but that I'm not always in the mood for
2. Artists who may not be a rest of my life favorite, but I'm never upset when they come on
3. Artists that I love, but have a limited body of work

Is it weird that I'm leaning towards Jimmy Eat World or, of all things, Dave Matthews? I wouldn't consider either one of my favorite bands, but I'm always into their stuff whenever I play it. When forced to choose 1 artist for the rest of your life, do you pick a brilliant, complex dish that you don't necessarily want each day or comfort food? I'm almost inclined to pick the latter.

I guess I don't quite have a pick yet, but I'm curious what y'all's would be.
nate

Re: You can only listen to one artist for the rest of your l

Postby Kazriko » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Tough one. If you pick someone who is a producer as well as making music, would you get the work they produce as well? Picking someone like Robert Schneider could get you a ton of interesting stuff. Most of the Elephant 6 collective music.

I'm not sure I could do that though. Even bands that I really like get tiresome after awhile. I really like Army Navy right now, but who knows if it'll hold up for thousands of plays? The most plays any song on my playlist has is about 35.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Kazriko wrote:Tough one. If you pick someone who is a producer as well as making music, would you get the work they produce as well? Picking someone like Robert Schneider could get you a ton of interesting stuff. Most of the Elephant 6 collective music.

I'm not sure I could do that though. Even bands that I really like get tiresome after awhile. I really like Army Navy right now, but who knows if it'll hold up for thousands of plays? The most plays any song on my playlist has is about 35.

That's crazy. I own over a thousand albums and even I've got some stuff that's cracked the century mark as far as plays are concerned.
nate

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am

The only logical answer is to make up an artist that arbitrarily creates all the music I want to hear! 8) "Oh, a funky electro disco record? Yeah, that sounds like something The Bridges of Madison County would come up with about a decade into their careers after their folk phase which followed their metalcore phase."

Really though, I think it'd have to be someone who I don't have a clear cut favorite record by. The bands with good sized discographies where I can reasonably convince myself about 3-4 of their records are my favorite.

Stuff like Tom Waits or Bob Dylan would be good, but I'd get frustrated with certain eras.
I'd go with ELO, but lack of new music to look forward to would eventually be a bummer.
Jimmy Eat World would be a lack of excitement for new music.
Weezer and Sunny Day Real Estate have good extracurricular activities, but restrictive discographies on their own.
Couldn't listen to Chris Conley (Saves the Day), Drake, or Kanye as my only voices for the rest of my life.
Spitz would be ideal because of the size and quality of their discography, but they've basically released the same record 15 times, so I'd worry about wearing thin on their formula eventually.

I'd probably have to go with Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Great balance in terms of subtle variety, sharp consistency, but outside activities. I more or less treat them like the only band I listen to at times anyway. They're one of the only artists where a release date gets me excited. They're one of the only artists where I really savor all of their releases beyond a couple of listens. I've liked just about everything (except their most recent album, which is moderately concerning).

I think I could survive. Especially if Gotoh's production work counts. I don't always like what he works on, but a few great albums in there.
goodlucksaturday

Postby Kazriko » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:04 am

nate wrote:That's crazy. I own over a thousand albums and even I've got some stuff that's cracked the century mark as far as plays are concerned.

http://www.last.fm/user/kazriko << Actually, the highest play count is 39. I rarely play one album over and over though, it's usually a huge playlist of 1000+ songs set to shuffle.

Of course, there's a large gap in my last.fm from 2012 until last year when I switched to Music Unlimited and they didn't have scrobbling. Maybe all of the times listening to my Screamfeeder/Posies/army navy list might have added up.
Kazriko

Postby Weidleface » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:40 pm

I don't know where I'd land quite yet either. It's easy for me to lean on favorites like Eminem or the Chili Peppers, but the Chili PEppers in particular have put out a lot of stuff that I'm just not too fond of (particularly their earlier years). Now if I can game the system and use Flea and Frusicante as a way to slip The Mars Volta into the mix as well, then this may be a different discussion.

Ben Gibbard is a possibility as well. I'm not familiar with much outside of Death Cab and Postal Service, but that's plenty to get me started. The man hasn't put out anything that I outright dislike that I can recall, so it may be a safe bet.

Weezer's an option. Again, nothing that I outright dislike.

Kaskade may be a huge frontrunner. He's got something for just about any mood, and between his full albums, compilations, mashups, and collabs there's a great quantity there as well. Same would go for Deadmau5, really.
Weidleface

Postby nate » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 pm

I think I've gotta just commit. Jeff Tweedy is my pick. Wilco's my favorite band and I enjoy his solo and Uncle Tupelo stuff, too. The difficulty is that while I'm always chill with Wilco, there are only spells where I'm super in the zone with it. There's not a lot of get hype stuff there. It's just always really, really well done. It's also sad to think that by committing there, I'm losing all the other music ever. No more hip hop. No more classical. No more anything else. My game made me sad. :lol:
nate

Postby nate » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I changed my mind. Springsteen's my pick. I listened to both artists' discographies front to back and I think I've got to give it to Springsteen on this one. There's just more diversity with higher highs (but also lower lows).
nate

Postby fsmetal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 am

I could not pick one single artist and only listen to them for the rest of my life.
fsmetal

Return to Music