TV and So On (The Thread Formally Known as The Following)

Moderator: nate

TV and So On (The Thread Formally Known as The Following)

Postby goodlucksaturday » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Dammmmnnnnnn.

I was almost all about some Following, Kevin Bacon's new show on FOX. I was willing to overlook the fact that it requires tons of suspension of belief, that a serial killer apparently can have limitless, private meetings with countless random people, and that law enforcement is an all-time level of ineptitude in this show, but the latest episode just ruined ALL of it. :( Truthfully, I'm pretty bummed about how it all played out, but here's a tip if you're making a show or writing a story:

Don't set your characters up in a situation, no matter how good it seems, if you don't have an end game that doesn't involve idiotic Dexter Season 5 level cop outs. Seriously. When your reaction to a plot twist is "...of course" and results in Kevin Bacon leaning over a car before hitting it frustrated, you should write a new plot twist.

This show went from potential priority viewing to "let's see if I can not fall six episodes behind" status in 10 minutes flat. Pretty impressive!
Last edited by goodlucksaturday on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goodlucksaturday

Re: The Following

Postby Ocyd » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:13 am

What's the show about? If it's just another cop/crime show I'll pass but I've been hearing more about it recently so i thought i'd ask.
Ocyd

Re: The Following

Postby goodlucksaturday » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

It's about a serial killer who runs an Edgar Allan Poe cult from prison. The FBI brings Kevin Bacon out of retirement to stop him since he was the one who caught him before. It's supposed to be a cat and mouse game between the two, but it's reaching Death Note level of stupidity pretty quickly.
goodlucksaturday

Re: TV and So On (The Thread Formally Known as The Following

Postby goodlucksaturday » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Two hundred zombies, self-inflicted gunshots, and Tom Waits prison hymns have nothing on the final moments of Don Draper being Don Draper in the Mad Men season premiere.

Your move, television.

Better yet, just take the next three months off.
goodlucksaturday

Postby goodlucksaturday » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Finished the first season of TURN, I liked it quite a bit considering the American Revolution was never one of my favorite historical periods (probably from having to read Johnny Tremain, man, I hated that book), but one thing perplexes the hell out of me: Everything I know about John Simcoe (which really isn't that much) makes him seem like a pretty rad dude all things considered, so how do they get to that point after making him the central villain of the first season?

Granted, I like the portrayal by the actor in the show, but it just makes me wonder why they chose Simcoe as the figure to portray. The Queen's Rangers were hinted towards the end of the first season which will at some point involve Simcoe (wait...is that a spoiler?), but I just want to know how they'll redeem his character. For a man who did a lot of really good things, they have a lot of work to do to make him not seem like one of the worst dudes on the face of the earth.
goodlucksaturday

Postby nate » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am

I want to watch that show. I love the American Revolution.
nate

Postby thinkfreemind » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:39 am

I've just started watching Orange Is The New Black on Netflix. This show is every bit as great as Weeds and I'm enjoying it. I told my wife about it on Monday, that I had watched the first two episodes, and she has already finished the first season in a day. She's hooked too.
thinkfreemind

Postby goodlucksaturday » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:58 pm

My favorite show right now is The Last Man on Earth. I love how you can still be a self centered jag even when you're the last person alive. :lol:
goodlucksaturday

Postby goodlucksaturday » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Just finished the second season of TURN. Really pleased with this show. I'm hoping it gets picked up for a third season, otherwise it's kind of tricky. :P I did like the Battle of Monmouth though.
goodlucksaturday

Return to Movies - TV - Anime