Your Media Center

Moderator: nate

Your Media Center

Postby rwburnham » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 pm

This is a question for everyone on this board: What piece of hardware do you use most often for your media consumption? It can be anything. Game console, tablet, cable box, Blu-ray player... whatever. Also, why do you prefer it?

On a related note, I found this article that is making me re-think my entertainment center setup:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... dia-player

I have been using my Xbox One as my main media machine, but the more I use it, the more I feel disappointed in it overall. The "Live TV" feature used to support my HTPC, but now it does not. The Kinect is a mix of neat and annoying. The machine itself sucks a ton of electricity due to it being in a "half-sleep mode" when not in use. The lack of interoperability with networked media is disappointing. The lack of a remote control is an odd oversight. Considering that Microsoft wants us to use it as our "all-in-one" media solution, they seem to have omitted a lot of media-related features. After I finish playing Dead Rising 3, it might be time to rethink my choice of console.
rwburnham

Re: Your Media Center

Postby nate » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:59 pm

At this point, TVs in my house are mainly used for baseball during baseball season. So... I don't know what that means. I don't really game on them, watch movies, or even really follow much TV.
nate

Postby goodlucksaturday » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:34 pm

PlayStation 3 for movies/videos, cable box for TV and sports.
CD player, turntable, laptop for music
Wii U tablet for gaming lol

I'm not sure we'll ever get to a point where I have one single media player. It just doesn't seem like it'll ever be possible with LPs and Nintendo consoles. :lol:
goodlucksaturday

Postby seaking177 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

My zen stone 1GB ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012YI7EO/ , but older) for whenever I don't have headphones, my Nvidia Shield for movies and games, and my...I don't even know what its called, just some 4 GB mp3 player for whenever I have my headphones and don't want to listen to people.
seaking177

Postby Weidleface » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 pm

I use my PS3 for most things- Gaming, Netflix, Crackle, DVD/Blu Ray, etc. I have a digital antenna to catch local channels (mainly for sports). Anything that I can stream online I AirPlay over from my Mac Mini through my Apple TV. It's a damn handy little device. I imagine my PS4 will eventually become my media hub, but the PS3's Netflix is so perfect that I don't even want to try anything else right now.
Weidleface

Return to Movies - TV - Anime