Albums You Didn't Appreciate Until Later

Moderator: nate

Albums You Didn't Appreciate Until Later

Postby nate » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:14 am

I was listening to a couple of albums back to back and realized they both had something in common: I didn't like either until much later after they were released. It took new releases by both groups in order for me to go back and appreciate something I hadn't originally enjoyed. What're some albums you didn't really get into until long after you first got them?

Off the top of my head:
Radiohead "In Rainbows"
The Roots "Undun"
Arctic Monkeys "Suck It & See"
Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde"

I'm sure there are tons of others, but I don't feel like looking them up right this moment. :D
nate

Re: Albums You Didn't Appreciate Until Later

Postby Doomer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 pm

I hated Mars Volta's "Francis the Mute" until one of their later albums came out (I think it was "Octahedron"). People (at another forum I go to) were talking about how great "Frances the Mute" was, so I give it a second chance.
Doomer

Postby nate » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 pm

I was the same way about that CD, too! I've never gotten any of their other stuff, but it suddenly clicked with me spontaneously like 3-4 years ago.

Some others I thought of:
Coldplay "X & Y"
Decemberists "The Crane Wife"
Jay-Z "The Blueprint"
Jimmy Eat World "Chase This Light"
John Mayer "Heavier Things"
nate

Postby Kazriko » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Most of them? There's a handful that I instantly love, but I always give albums 2-3 listens to see if it grabs me. The majority of the ones I keep grow on me by the 3rd listen.
Kazriko

Postby nate » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:40 am

Kazriko wrote:Most of them? There's a handful that I instantly love, but I always give albums 2-3 listens to see if it grabs me. The majority of the ones I keep grow on me by the 3rd listen.

Well, yeah. I don't consider an album truly "heard" until the 10th dedicated listen at the very least and I wouldn't review things for the college paper or a website until at least 15 back when I still did that stuff. I'm talking about stuff it took you years to get into, that you bought and thought "this sucks" before coming back much later realizing "What was I missing? This is fantastic!" ;)
nate

Postby Weidleface » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:29 pm

A couple that come immediately to mind-

Weezer- Pinkerton

It might have been that I never really dove into Pinkerton that much, but for a while it was one of my least favorite Weezer albums. I didn't really start to appreciate it until around the time the red album came out. I'm not sure what drove me to it (hell, it might have been conversation here), but I decided to give it another go and it has since become my favorite album of theirs and possibly one of my favorite albums of all time.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- By The Way

Again, this used to be one of my least favorite Chili Peppers albums. That being said, I never actively disliked it but rather thought the majority of their catalog was just simply better. Maybe it's just me getting older, but now I rank it right up there with Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication as one of my favorite Chili Peppers albums.

Brand New- Your Favorite Weapon

This is definitely a case of missing the boat on the album initially. My first foray into Brand New was with Devil and God, and I later sought out Deja and YFW. YFW never really clicked with me for whatever reason, but now going back and listening to it kinda reminds me of high school and all the shitty pop-punk bands I listened to back then (they're good memories, though). I guess that nostalgic feeling lets me enjoy the album a bit more, even though I never actually listened to it when I was younger.
Weidleface

Postby nate » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:24 pm

LOL- Pinkerton and By The Way were my favorite albums by those groups from day one. (Though Maladroit might have edged out Pinkerton in recent years... I'd have to give them both listens again). And I'm the opposite with YFW. I started with that one when Brand New first came out and ADORED it. Going back, that album is NOT as good as I remembered. :lol:
nate

Postby Weidleface » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:18 pm

I remember you always being on the By the Way wagon and thinking you were just insane. :lol:

And Maladroit? That's interesting. If I had to pick a second after Pinkerton, I'd definitely lean more toward blue or red. Then again, I'm the guy that mostly loves Hurley and Raditude so my authority as a Weezer scholar is on some pretty shaky foundation. :lol:
Weidleface

Postby nate » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

I think I'd probably rank them:

Pinkerton
Maladroit
Blue
All Right in the End
Green
Red
Make Believe

Raditude