Pillars of Eternity and the Pants-off Dance-off

Moderator: Kazriko

Pillars of Eternity and the Pants-off Dance-off

Postby rwburnham » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I finally started Pillars of Eternity. Holy cow, I'm in love. I know it's going to get tough, but so far I am really impressed with what they did here. It is a modern version of the Infinity Engine games but with a lot of improvements. I love the smooth animations, the improved inventory system, the slick battles that still retain the tactical nature of the older games, and plenty more. Puzzles have been minimal so far and I hope it stays that way. I just want to stab/smash/blast things in the face.

pe-bb-dyrford-crossing.jpg
It's like 1998 all over again, but in HD!
pe-bb-dyrford-crossing.jpg (223.14 KiB) Viewed 692 times
rwburnham

Re: Pillars of Eternity and the Pants-off Dance-off

Postby rwburnham » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I moved past the first town in Pillars and I have been exploring the wilderness nearby. I like that your characters don't generally die, they just fall over until the battle ends and then they just stand up. Having to reload a saved game or find a priest in the old Infinity Engine games was a giant pain in the ass. I like that Pillars throws the occasional overpowered enemy at you. It keeps me on my toes.

The only things I don't like are the lack of a quest arrow and the way the game paints rats as bad creatures. I don't think a quest arrow cheapens the game. I hate wandering aimlessly. I don't mind exploring, but I always want to know where I am supposed to go even if I don't always go there. Modern Bethesda games, like Fallout 3 and Skyrim, do this very well. I always know where the next quest is located, but I can also just wander the landscape as I wish.

As for the rats, do not let their red eyes and long tails scare you. They are smart, friendly, adorable animals. If you feed them and be nice to them they'll be nice to you. Don't fear the rats.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:10 pm

The more I play this game, the more I wish other RPGs had stuck with this style of game play. Imagine if the KOTOR series had been made with the Infinity Engine. Anyway, it took me 18 hours to complete Act 1 and it was a blast. I took over a ruined castle and I am slowly rebuilding it. I have a solid group of party members at my disposal but I am still trying to find the perfect mix. As is I have yet to find a good rogue so I had to hire a custom companion (which is a nice feature). I like that "magical" items are still hard to find.

I am now knee deep in Act II, which has me wandering around the main city. Lots of quests to do, which has my yearning for a modern quest indicator of some kind. (Can a brother get a quest arrow?) My party is doing well enough with a Priest, a Rogue, a Fighter, a Ranger, a Cipher and a Wizard. At least I did have a Cipher until she left the party because I chose to send a child to die at the hands of a ghoul. The Cipher has since been replaced by a Chanter who I had waiting at my keep.

I want to hug everyone involved in the making of this game. I think about PoE when I am not playing it. Even now I am thinking about ways I could change my group. My Rogue is constantly getting her ass kicked in combat, so maybe I'd be better off using my Ranger to find traps and unlock things. Instead of the Rogue, I could swap in either the Druid or Priest that are both waiting at my castle. I would rather have a "named" character with a story than a custom-made character.

Speaking of story, the game requires a bit of reading, but the dialog has been excellent so far. The writing is excellent and generally free of tropes. I have yet to meet anyone as memorable as Minsc, but the characters I have met so far are fun. There are only eight companions that you will meet on your journey, but you can hire as many custom-made characters as you can afford.

Of all of the characters in my party, Sagani the Ranger is my favorite. During one conversation with her, she tells me that her husband stays home with the kids while she goes out and hunts. I asked her if she was worried that her husband might cheat on her, and she reminds me that she is the best shot with a bow and arrow in her village. I like her.

I finally met Pallegina the Paladin. Her name sounds like a part of the female anatomy, but she was hanging our near a brothel so I guess that makes sense? By the way, the name of the brothel is The Salty Mast. Yeah, good times. I only had sex with two of the hookers, but one of them was for a quest. The other was for fun.
rwburnham

Postby rwburnham » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:40 pm

That is a wrap! The 52 hours it took to finish this wonderful game went far too fast. I have waited a long time to play a game like this.

I was one of those people who was actually disappointed when the RPG genre went 3D. The genre was spawned from the pages of Dungeons and Dragons rule books, and D&D was always about stories, character development, and tactical combat that rewarded thought and patience over reflexes. Most modern RPGs just don't capture that.

Pillars of Eternity deftly brings the Infinity Engine RPG style into the modern age. This is not a title that makes compromises for consoles, which is another thing that has cheapened the genre. These developers knew people wanted a game like Baldur's Gate and they gave it to us. Not only that, but they made the mechanics of the game better than those older titles. It's just amazing. I hope they make more.

2015-06-06_00002.jpg
Sadly, we never saw Minsc or Boo.
2015-06-06_00002.jpg (201.68 KiB) Viewed 688 times
rwburnham

Return to Round 5 - Star Ocean 2 + Pillars of Eternity