Damn, these Marvel Netflix shows are COLD

Moderator: nate

Damn, these Marvel Netflix shows are COLD

Postby nate » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:46 pm

I loved Daredevil, even if it could be a hard watch at time due to some messed up stuff (the scene with the car door will probably haunt me the rest of my life). Just finished the first episode of Jessica Jones and it ups the ante. The end of that was so twisted that I'm actually uncomfortable watching it. I finished the episode and felt dirty, though I will say the color work was GENIUS. For sharp eyed viewers, the minute you saw the [redacted for spoilers] you knew what was going to happen.
nate

Re: Damn, these Marvel Netflix shows are COLD

Postby Ocyd » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:49 am

I was going to pass on it from the start after I heard what it was all about. Just seems messed up for the sake of being edgy and gritty. Like the rebound spectacle after a Disney child star is released from the factory. I tried watching Daredevil at one point too but well that didn't even get past the first episode. I never did understand the popularity of that character to begin with. I thought agents of shield was okay.
Ocyd

Postby nate » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:45 am

Jessica Jones was the star of the book Alias which was one of the first on the Marvel Knights line, which was a more mature, darker look at the Marvel universe. Daredevil was also relaunched under that same imprint. It's absolutely no surprise that they'd be much heavier than the movies because they're dealing with street level issues. And honestly, the rise of the Kingpin is by far the more compelling narrative in Daredevil.
nate

Postby SoulEaterQUEEN » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:39 pm

nate wrote:I loved Daredevil, even if it could be a hard watch at time due to some messed up stuff (the scene with the car door will probably haunt me the rest of my life). Just finished the first episode of Jessica Jones and it ups the ante. The end of that was so twisted that I'm actually uncomfortable watching it. I finished the episode and felt dirty, though I will say the color work was GENIUS. For sharp eyed viewers, the minute you saw the [redacted for spoilers] you knew what was going to happen.

I just saw Jessica Jones today (first episode) and I agree that it was a lot darker and edgier than I expected. Although it definitely is my kind of style (I like my dark and edgy stuff normally) so I am excited to see more of it. But definitely not something I can handle all the time. I was really surprised that Marvel produced something with that kind of maturity -- I wasn't expecting that.. But it was a nice surprise.
SoulEaterQUEEN

Postby nate » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 pm

SoulEaterQUEEN wrote:
nate wrote:I loved Daredevil, even if it could be a hard watch at time due to some messed up stuff (the scene with the car door will probably haunt me the rest of my life). Just finished the first episode of Jessica Jones and it ups the ante. The end of that was so twisted that I'm actually uncomfortable watching it. I finished the episode and felt dirty, though I will say the color work was GENIUS. For sharp eyed viewers, the minute you saw the [redacted for spoilers] you knew what was going to happen.

I just saw Jessica Jones today (first episode) and I agree that it was a lot darker and edgier than I expected. Although it definitely is my kind of style (I like my dark and edgy stuff normally) so I am excited to see more of it. But definitely not something I can handle all the time. I was really surprised that Marvel produced something with that kind of maturity -- I wasn't expecting that.. But it was a nice surprise.

It gets MUCH heavier by the end. It's really, really intense at times. I've got 3 episodes left and am probably going to try to finish it tonight. Did you watch Daredevil?
nate

Postby rwburnham » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:10 am

I loved the hell out of the Daredevil show and I am not generally a big fan of Marvel characters. Even among the movies, the original Iron Man is the only one I find to be genuinely interesting.

I am a few episodes into Jessica Jones and I am impressed so far. It seems to be building up slower than Daredevil did, but it's still giving me that "one more episode" feeling.
rwburnham

Postby nate » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Overall, I liked Daredevil better, but it was definitely a worthy addition. My major issue is that there were a couple of plot lines that were completely pointless by the end and, frankly, I didn't like very many of the characters. David Tenant as Kilgrave, though, was fantastic.
nate

Return to Movies - TV - Anime