Games Completed, 2016

Moderator: nate

Re: Games Completed, 2016

Postby merph518 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:37 am

So... I've been really bad about keeping this up to date.

34 – 04/07/2016 – Bravely Second: The Ballad of the Three Cavaliers – 3DS – 4.5 hours
A simple demo, just like the first Bravely game had. Gave me a chance to test out the battle system (which really hasn't changed at all) and get a little background on some of the characters before the release of the game.

35 – 04/12/2016 – Star Ocean: First Departure – PSP – 19 hours
I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be. The story was pretty middling until the end. Gameplay seemed simplified... stuff like traveling from continent to continent by ship didn't actually feature a ship. Just a screen transition.

36 – 04/18/2016 – Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – PS3 – 73.75 hours
Phenomenal game. It took the world and character building from the Trails in the Sky series and coupled it with more modern graphics and combat. I really enjoyed each character's story arch. Even the ones I didn't care for at first eventually grew on me. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

37 – 04/19/2016 – Ratchet and Clank – PS4 – 9 hours
Fun platformer. I'm not the type to try and collect everything and do everything, so I blasted through it really quickly. It was a fun ride though.

38 – 04/24/2016 – Star Ocean: Second Evolution – PSP – 33 hours
A huge improvement over the first game in just about every respect except battle (as it was exactly the same engine on PSP).

39 – 04/27/2016 – The Walking Dead: Michonne – Episode 3: What We Deserve – PS4 – 1.25 hours
A ho-hum wrap up to the mini-series. I enjoyed it but it wasn't anything special in terms of story. I did appreciate the look into Michonne's past though.

40 – 05/05/2016 – Bravely Second: End Layer – 3DS – 61.75 hours
I'm so glad this game wasn't as repetitive as the first one. I enjoyed it but it felt more like an expansion to the original game than it's own thing. So much retreading of the same areas gets to me. They need to find some more locations to explore on Luxendarc... or just go to another world for the third game. (They hinted at a third game in the ending).

41 – 05/05/2016 – Homefront – PS3 – 5.25 hours
Played this in anticipation of the PS4 sequel, which I ended up not playing after all. The game was kind of meh. At least it was short?

42 – 05/06/2016 – King’s Quest: Episode 3 – Once Upon a Climb – PS4 – 2.75 hours
I really enjoyed this episode. It felt more like a modern adventure game and less puzzley compared to the first two. Looking forward to more -- unfortunately the episodes in this series are very slow to release.

43 – 05/07/2016 – Star Fox Zero – WiiU – 3.75 hours
Shit controls. Boring, repeated story. I literally had no fun playing this.

44 – 05/11/2016 – Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride – DS – 29 hours
I got totally hooked on this game. It was cool to see the half-step between the first Dragon Quest trilogy and the later games (I'd played through DQ 1, 2 and 8). Monster recruitment was cool and they were actually useful in combat. The chat system was awesome, with human party members offering feedback after just about every action (new area, talking to each NPC) but was unfortunately underutilized as there were long stretches where you only had monster companions. This game hooked me on the DQ series quite a bit more and pushed the rest of the games up my priority list.

45 – 05/19/2016 – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – PS4 – 16.5 hours
Phenomenal game. A great wrap-up to the series.

46 – 05/20/2016 – Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 3DS – 8 hours
Very true to the first DKC games. I enjoyed it, despite some of the levels being a bitch to get through. My only real complaint is that the game doesn't allow you to use the D-Pad, which I prefer in 2D platformers.

47 – 05/25/2016 – Star Ocean: Till the End of Time – PS2 – 41 hours
The game I thought I beat in the past. I hadn't, my memory was shitty. I enjoyed playing this game and the characters within it... but that last twist of the plot is pretty bad. I felt like it cheapened the game and perhaps the whole series.

48 – 06/04/2016 – Broforce – PS4 – 8 hours
Played this co-op with a friend. Great game. Shitty PS4 port. I've never seen a game perform worse on the PS4... constant slowdowns and slow loading screens. The game isn't exactly demanding in terms of computing power, it's pretty pathetic that it's in this shape. Enjoyed the game despite the negatives.

49 – 06/07/2016 – DOOM (2016) – PS4 – 18.5 hours
This game was great. It was the perfect reimagining of DOOM... it felt just like the original that I played as a teenager. The same speed and floaty movement. The same monsters. But everything modern, beautiful and brutal. The environments are impressive. The music was a great fit and felt like the old soundtrack, just better. The combat... damn. The combat was just insane. Demons EVERYWHERE. Always moving or they rip you apart. I've never had so much fun while feeling so stressed in a game.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 pm

#5 June/#22 2016: Fleeing the Complex. A cute, quick little flash game with stick figures.
#6 June/#23 2016: Trails of Cold Steel. Great game, just like all the other Trails games, long though. 80 hours to finish.
#7 June/#24 2016: Pathpix Joy. Android game that I've been working on since christmas. I finish a couple of these a year usually.
#8 June/#25 2016: Severed. Nice quick game, with a fairly easy platinum. Didn't have two full endings though, just the one with slight variations.
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Another update now that June is wrapping up:

50 – 06/08/2016 – Minecraft: Story Mode – Episode 6: A Portal to Mystery – PS4 – 1.75 hours
One of the better episodes in this series. It made me glad I purchased the extended pass (episodes 6-8).

51 – 06/10/2016 – Star Ocean: The Last Hope International – PS3 – 56 hours
Really enjoyed this one, to the point where I think it's my favorite in the series. The combat was great and the story was pretty good. I was able to overlook some annoyances like Lymle.

52 – 06/17/2016 – Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir – PS4 – 26 hours
This game was a lot of fun, but there's no way I'd call it an RPG. I don't get why people do. It's more akin to a brawler with a story and a leveling system. Apparently the remake is a lot easier than the original. I'm glad I played the remake.

53 – 06/18/2016 – Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation – Android – 24.25 hours
I had been playing this game on and off for quite a while and finally finished it after completing the Star Ocean series. Pretty decent for an early DQ game, and I liked how the first trilogy came full circle the way it did.

54 – 06/23/2016 – Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam – 3DS – 27 hours
I bought this on a whim when it went on sale for $17 on GameFly. It ended up being a lot better than I expected, at least combat wise. Combat was akin to Super Mario RPG, where you had to time your attacks. Even the special attacks required you to perform well or they'd suck. I got sucked in and played it nonstop until I finished it.

55 – 06/24/2016 – Mighty No. 9 – PS4 – 6.5 hours
I only played this because it was rentable. The game wasn't very good. It had some nasty difficulty spikes but I'll admit it was rewarding to finally conquer each boss that gave me a hard time. I pushed through it as it was short, if it had been a longer game I would have sent it back. I don't recommend this one.

56 – 06/26/2016 – Parasite Eve – PS1 – 11 hours
RPG Club game for July, Round 20. Got an early start. It started off kind of slow but the story hooked me more and more as the chapters went on. By the end of last weekend I couldn't put it down and finished it much sooner than I'd anticipated. Interesting twist of Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, I'd recommend it heartily to anyone who's not played it.

57 – 06/27/2016 – Beyond: Two Souls – PS4 – 9.5 hours
Grabbed the remastered game on a PSN sale a while ago and gave it a try. I didn't really know anything about it going into the game. It was pretty great -- it played like a Telltale game but done on a more professional level. It felt akin to an interactive movie, but it wasn't just making decisions in a branching pre-rendered film or anything. Great game.

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:12 am

#1 July/#26 2016, Atelier Ayesha Plus. The time pressure ended up not being as big of a deal as I was expecting. I finished the game with a year to spare. It helps if you craft two items early on though, nomad shoes and the scope thing. One lets you move faster, the other lets you gather faster. Finished 7 out of 9 endings, missed the last two mainly because I faffed about too much and didn't work hard enough on Ophelia/Keithgriff's events before the end of the game.

#2 July/#27 2016. Great game, the few criticisms about encounters being a bit too long and having too many enemies does apply though. Other than that, it's about the perfect uncharted game, with the perfect ending to the series.
Kazriko

Previous

Return to Gaming