I'm in a Slump

Moderator: nate

I'm in a Slump

Postby TSL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:04 pm

I go through this about ever 5 years...A time where none of the games I'm playing can keep my attention for more than an hour or two. I've picked up four games (Dragon's Dogma, Tales of the Abyss, Persona 4, Balrum) in the last two months that I thought I would really love, but they just can't keep me hooked. It's sad too because I REALLY like what I've seen in ToA and P4 so far.

I think part of the problem is that as I get older, I get less and less patient with games that don't respect my time. As a stickler for efficiency, anything a game does that feels like it's making me waste time becomes more and more unforgivable as I get older.

I really hope No Man's Sky is going to rectify this. I also may need to play a season or two of Madden to cleanse my pallet.
TSL

Re: I'm in a Slump

Postby Kazriko » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:24 pm

TSL wrote:I go through this about ever 5 years...A time where none of the games I'm playing can keep my attention for more than an hour or two. I've picked up four games (Dragon's Dogma, Tales of the Abyss, Persona 4, Balrum) in the last two months that I thought I would really love, but they just can't keep me hooked. It's sad too because I REALLY like what I've seen in ToA and P4 so far.

I think part of the problem is that as I get older, I get less and less patient with games that don't respect my time. As a stickler for efficiency, anything a game does that feels like it's making me waste time becomes more and more unforgivable as I get older.

I really hope No Man's Sky is going to rectify this. I also may need to play a season or two of Madden to cleanse my pallet.

When I can't find a game to hook me, I usually go for something totally different for awhile until I feel like going back to the style of game that I was getting tired of.

Balrum? Looks like a huge turn based RPG. Persona 4? Very big time-sink turn based RPG. Tales of the Abyss? Large, time consuming action RPG. Dragon's Dogma? Large, time consuming massive open world action RPG.

Madden? Large, time consuming action game that has a lot of RPG elements. No Man's Sky? Space based crafting/exploration game that is probably extremely time consuming.

If that works for you, then that's good. Maybe you should try something a lot smaller and shorter? Something you can knock off in a couple of hours. Maybe go back and replay Axiom Verge?

I'm alternating between Tales of Hearts and Assassin's Creed 2 right now. I'm 23 hours into the Tales game, and just 4-5 hours into AC2, so they're not the shortest games ever, but one of them isn't an RPG. I also finished a FPS Puzzle game this month that only took me 6 hours, and finished Firewatch, which was only 4 hours long. Also The Witness, which took me maybe 20 hours. If I only played really long games, it'd probably drive me nutty.

Here's another idea. If you just want to go kill something, go grab Super Hot. It's a non-realtime FPS game, and it's just a rapid chain of Killin'. Each level is nice and bite-sized, Most of them are less than a minute long. FPS distilled down to the very basics. RookGZ who regularly wanders into your streams has a couple of lets plays of it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322500/

Another idea. I haven't played the PC version of this, but the PSP version of Half Minute Hero might fit into what you want right now. Half minute hero is RPG games distilled down into a bite-sized ~2-3 minute package. There's many level, each where you had 30 seconds to level up and beat the final boss, time pauses in towns though so you can get a bit of time to think there. You can also buy 30 second extensions to your time, but they get increasingly expensive. You fight and buy equipment to get stronger, then beat the boss up, and then you go to a new area and do it all over again. Some levels have multiple endings so you can go back and do them again, and get a different branch of the storyline to play.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/240970/
Kazriko

Postby merph518 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:32 am

I don't know if you're into the FPS genre at all, but I'm playing (and really enjoying) Far Cry Primal. It's a cool change of pace from the typical shooter and something that you can chip away at even when you're short on time and still make some progress.

Lots of fast travel points (once you conquer the enemies guarding them), stuff to gather and craft and enemies to hunt.

If you're into adventure games, the new Walking Dead miniseries featuring Michonne is pretty good. It's better on a technical level than previous Telltale offerings (Game of Thrones was a buggy mess) and the story's pretty decent. Plus, it's cool to have control of a recognizable, kickass character. I played through the first episode this weekend and now I'm eager for the next two to be released.

Like Kaz said, switching things up can help sometimes. I always try to vary not only length but genres in what I'm playing. After playing through several long RPGs over the last 2-3 months, I needed a break from them despite having a bunch more to play. So instead, I played through a few Call of Duty Games, a few adventure games and caught up on Final Fantasy 14 (I had taken a year off).

merph518

Postby Kazriko » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 pm

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32420

#4 sounds like a B game.

Edit: And the upgrades and overpowered-ness described in this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ign=videos also make it seem like a B sort of game. :)
Kazriko

Postby TSL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 am

Nice. Yeah Bethesda gave me the big negative when I requested a review copy. I've not yet developed a rapport with their team the way I have with other publishers and PR companies. I may play it eventually.

Right now I've been focused on an underground RPG that I can best describe as a slightly stripped down (early access) Divinity 2. I'm really enjoying it so far and plan to put it on the channel eventually.
TSL

Return to Gaming